SE
Posted By
Studio_Era
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t see a section for CS3, so I will post here.

As far as I am concerned I have been hammered for $2,400 for a crap program.

I would like to be proven wrong.
Perhaps there is something I can do to stop the continual freezes, crashes, inconstances that occur in every program in the CS3 Suite.

As this is the Photoshop section, I will stick to one major problem that discourages me from even opening anything on it:

It takes ages to open a simple 400×600 jpeg file.

Here’s my specs:
-Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
-3072 RAM
-2 Harddrives with over 300 gigs each (I’m only using one at the moment) -NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT Graphics Card
-Vista Home Edition

I am at the end of my rope here.
I’m considering backing up all the files (a 40 minute movie I’ve hair-pullingly, finally copied to DVD *couldn’t use After Effects at all**the Interviews section wouldn’t accept .gif images over the video**etc,etc.)and reformating the PC and re-installing XP.

Is this my only option, or is it Vista at all?

And I don’t want to hear ‘it works fine for me’ or get some obscure link to some page with 100 FAQ that I’m expected to sort through.

Holy Jesus, twenty four hundred dollars for the privilage of re-visiting the ’90s UI experience. woopie.

If you’ve ever felt my pain, and can help, I would be most appreciative. I’m hoping it’s a typical PEBKAC situation that can remedied by changing my Graphics Card or something.

Thanks for your time

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Charlie_Choc
Nov 18, 2008
CS3 ran fine for me on Vista Ultimate (I have since upgraded to CS4). Did you mean Home Premium, or just Home edition? CS3 specs say Home Premium at a minimum. Also, slow open times seem to be associated with a network printer in some cases.

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 18, 2008
since you don’t seem to be into troubleshooting, i’d suggest the quickest way to fix your problems is to back up your data, reformat, and do a full system install, os, updates and applications.

I know you don’t want to hear "it works for me", but cs3 DOES work for most people. so i’d say the problem is somewhere on your system. a clean system will be the quickest way for you to get there.
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 18, 2008
Two things:

What version of Vista? There’s no such thing as home edition…it’s either Home Basic or Home Premium. Home Basic is unsupported.

Make sure your default printer is a local printer.

And oh yeah…I works fine for me…or it did til I upgraded to CS4 which works even better.

Bob
SE
Studio_Era
Nov 19, 2008
Charlie, Dave, Robert,

Thank you for the time and patience in your replies.

Vista is Premium.

And a slow open time is related to the printer setup !!!?? Another loss-for-words-wtf moment.
But, I will do as suggested and work on the printer set up after I do as Dave has confirmed: reformat the machine and re-build it myself.

It was the sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t episodes that finally wore me down . . .

Anyways,
Thanks for the time to answer.

Brad
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2008
And a slow open time is related to the printer setup !!!??

yes! known problem!!! try that first.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections