Can’t open files in Photoshop CS3…Please Help!!

CB
Posted By
Cyndi_Bender
Nov 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So last night I was downloading some pictures off my CF cards and apparently I have way too many pictures on my pc and it’s full! So I stopped downloading and started deleting!

But while I was doing that, I tried to open some images in photoshop and it just freezes up. The dialog box pops up for a brief second when I try to open the image and then it just disappears. Then I can’t click on anything. I have to "ctrl-alt-del" to even shut photoshop down. Does any one know what’s up or how I can fix it?

I’m using CS3 and windows xp if that matters…

I have two drives. The drive that I have photoshop on has 184GB left on it…so plenty of space. The other drive…the one I store photos on…only has 32GB left.

I deleted a bunch of photos (need to go buy more DVD’s to back up so I can delete more), uninstalled photoshop, cleaned up both hard drives, re-installed photoshop….and it’s still doing the same thing. I don’t know what else to do….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Rilla
Nov 16, 2008
Cyndi –
I would start with the easiest thing – Archive the preference file to your desktop then we can continue from there if that doesn’t work.
– Close PS
– Type this into your run menu
%appdata%/adobe/adobe photoshop cs3/
– Now drag the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings folder onto your desktop – Keep the adobe folder window open
– Launch PS
– If this works then there was something corrupted in the preferences somewhere – If this doesn’t work then delete the newly created preference folder from the adobe folder and drag the one from your desktop back into the adobe folder.

Hope this helps.

-Rilla
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 16, 2008
Rilla

There are much easier ways to reset PS preferences.

It’s all in the FAQs.
CB
Cyndi_Bender
Nov 17, 2008
Thanks so much Rilla and John. My husband messed with it for a couple of hours and got it to work. He had to reset my screen resolution and now it works….weird…don’t know why but I know it works now. Thank goodness! Thanks again for the help!
R
Rilla
Nov 17, 2008
John –
I said nothing about resetting the preferences.

-Rilla
R
Rilla
Nov 17, 2008
Cindi –
I’m glad you got it to work! It’s interesting that the resolution had something to do with your issue.
How did you guys know it was the resolution? Were there other issues other than with PS?

-Rilla
CB
Cyndi_Bender
Nov 17, 2008
Thanks Rilla, I’m so relieved it works again! My husband just googled "photoshop won’t open files" or something like that; he said it was the very first result that came up. There weren’t any other problems…and it just started out of the blue!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections