Posted By
malojo
Nov 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I am using Vista 32 bit with 4 GB ram installed ( 3gb availible ).

In the Performance Settings the max. Ram allowed is 1620 Mb, not the 3gb availible. How can I use this?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
Jim
Nov 12, 2008
wrote in message
Hi there,

I am using Vista 32 bit with 4 GB ram installed ( 3gb availible ).
In the Performance Settings the max. Ram allowed is 1620 Mb, not the 3gb availible.
How can I use this?
The value of 1620 MB is user virtual address space. The 4 GB of ram is physical memory. These are twp very different things.
Most 32 bit operating systems limit the amount of user virtual address space to 2 GB regardless of how much ram is installed.
There is a setting in Vista which allows the amount of user virtual address space to be 3 GB.
Sorry, as I use XP, I don’t know what the setting is. In XP, you eanble the increase in user virtual address space with the /3GB switch in boot.ini. Also, note that it is impossible to increase the amount of user virtual address space beyond 3 GB because the operating system must be mapped into the 4 GB virtual address space.
Jim
J
jcates
Nov 12, 2008
Photoshop is allowing for other things to use RAM like the OS and other background programs. Not to mention other apps you may be running.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 12, 2008
This is a long read but everyone should read it at least once!

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404439&sliceId=1>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections