MD
Posted By
Mike_Dougas
Nov 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have installed Photoshop CS3 Extended on my PC (Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, 1GB RAM). The program loads fine and I can use the adjustments (levels, hue, filters, etc). When I attempt to use the Clone stamp tool, It does not work. If I push the "Alt" key and click the mouse, I get the cross-hairs like you are supposed to, but when I release the "Alt" key, it does not clone anything. The circle and the + signs follow the mouse, but no cloning is done. Also, with the Healing brush, it goes thru the motions (round paint brush), but does not leave the dark trace when the mouse is clicked and held. So when released, no healing is done. I have Photoshop Elements 6.0 on the same computer and it works properly. I have tried un-installing/re-installing; deactivate and repair, all with no luck.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 10, 2008
just some general observations…

check that you are cloning both from and to the layers/areas you’re expecting if you’re working with a multi-layer document. check the options bar to see if ‘use all layers’ is selected, if that’s what you want. also make sure that if you have a selection, you’re not trying to clone outside of that selection.

usually when this happens to me, i’ve forgotten about a selection somewhere. try hitting ctrl-d (deselect) in case you have one hidden…
MD
Mike_Dougas
Nov 10, 2008
Thanks, but it does not mater how many layers I have. Even with a single layer, I can not get them to work.
M
Mylenium
Nov 10, 2008
Are you using any blendmodes in the clone/ healing tool itself? Also check the brush and clone source settings. Using some combinations can have the result of doing nothing at all indeed.

Mylenium
MD
Mike_Dougas
Nov 10, 2008
I left them on "Normal", which works on PSE 6.0, but nothing happens on CS3.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2008
Do you have a Wacom tablet?
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 10, 2008
what john said. if you do, and you’re using the mouse, keep the stylus away from the tablet. if you’re using the stylus, keep the mouse away from the tablet.
MD
Mike_Dougas
Nov 10, 2008
Yes, but they are about 18" apart. Will try that.
Mike
MD
Mike_Dougas
Nov 10, 2008
No go! I moved the pen and mouse far apart and no difference
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2008
Try temporarily unplugging the tablet to see if the problem goes away.
MD
Mike_Dougas
Nov 10, 2008
It appears to function with the pen, but not the mouse. I am using a Wacom Graphire. The pen seems to be too touchy. Any suggestions?
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2008
That’s a bit different. I get that sometimes with my Graphire (Model CTE-430).

If I reset the Brush Tool it goes away.
MD
Mike_Dougas
Nov 11, 2008
I have tried to reset all the tools and no luck

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections