NP
Posted By
Nick_Pish
Nov 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I must say, I’m shocked and highly disappointed that Adobe has removed the "Use Adobe Dialogue" feature from the "Save As"/"Open" windows in CS4; this very simple feature present in CS3 saved an immense amount of time over the course of the day by allowing the selection of favorite folders– strangely, I see that there is a lesser implementation of this feature in the "Open" dialogue– note the "Favorite" folder icon on the right– but not in the "Save" dialogue– why??? This is simply baffling to me and, from briefly surveying other posts on this and other forums, seems to be a common sentiment. I have begun evaluating the CS4 suite on my home machine, and this unfortunate feature deletion may honestly keep me from making the upgrade on my work machine.

Should we start a petition to bring this feature back?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2008
allowing the selection of favorite folders

This is possible both in XP and Vista dialogs.

To add a location to the left-hand side of the Open and Save dialog boxes in Vista and XP, use the group policy editor:

Go to Start > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer > Common Open File Dialog

Enable "Items displayed in Places Bar" and type the path to the desired location.
S
Silkrooster
Nov 10, 2008
Thats sweet. Thanks John. Learned something new. 🙂
F
Freeagent
Nov 10, 2008
Great tip, John 🙂

Interestingly, while this works as you describe on my Vista Business 64 desktop, there’s no such thing as gpedit.msc on my Vista Home Premium 32 laptop.

Or maybe hp took it out, the b*******.
F
Freeagent
Nov 10, 2008
Registry, huh? Ummm, I don’t really like it down there, it’s so dark …and spiders… :-X
S
Silkrooster
Nov 11, 2008
LOL. If your shy of the registry, you can back it up first. Then if for some reason you made a mistake it can be restored.

For some reason it is not in with the administrative tools, so I added it there so I can find it next time.
RM
Rick Moore
Nov 11, 2008
The group policy editor is not included in the home versions of Windows. You can probably still manually edit the registry if you know where to look. Search for ‘placesbar’ in the registry.
NP
Nick_Pish
Nov 11, 2008
John- thank you for the tip; this definitely helps. I have to say, however, it still stinks that we have to resort to such measures when the prior functionality worked so well; is there any logical reason for why Adobe would have removed this feature? It just baffles me- new versions of software should enhance functionality, not diminish it. [insert sad face]
RM
Rick Moore
Nov 11, 2008
FYI – in Vista you can just drag folder locations to the places bar, but it doesn’t work with all programs. Unfortunately, Photoshop isn’t one of them.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 11, 2008
I read somewhere that the Adobe dialog was causing some problems with it’s interaction with other software, and for this reason – it’s out.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections