Posted By
Paul_Dee
Nov 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello-
When I installed Photoshop CS4 along with the other apps on CS4 Web Premium I thought that both versions of PShop would be installed by default, but that was not the case with my installation; only the 64 bit version was installed.

Now I would like to install the 32 bit version but when I try to do it through setup I am unable to check the box. There is a list of "Installed Products" and then "Available Products"; the only thing under "Available Products" is Photoshop CS4, but I am unable to check the box.

Any ideas on how I can install the 32-bit version? I want it for the GPU acceleration and to use certain plugins.

Thanks,
Paul

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

E
Ender
Nov 8, 2008

a) Photoshop CS4 is built for 64 bit Vista, not 64 bit XP.
b) Don’t worry about what the check boxes say, it usually installs both. 64 bit version will be in Program Files, and 32 bit version will be in Program Files x86.
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 8, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Having said that, I will note that you managed to both not answer my question *and* give the erroneous impression that PS CS4 will not run correctly on XP 64.

Consider:
a)Although it is technically true that PS CS4 is built for Vista 64, it is certainly capable of running on XP 64, and in fact it does so quite well. More to the point, Adobe has released an optional set of [unsupported] GPU plugins to enable GPU support on XP 64, available here:
< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=3 9&platform=Windows>

b) Had you read my question more carefully, you would have noted that I knew that the installer was supposed to install both the 64 and 32 bit versions, but that it did *not* do so, thus the POINT of my question. The answer was that I installed to a non-default directory which evidently the installer cannot handle correctly. An uninstall and reinstall to the default path fixed this problem.

(Bonus letter) c) Typing words in response to a query does not an answer make.

Thanks,
Paul
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 8, 2008
Quite a few people have had major problems with XP64. Maybe your absence of the 32bit version is another.

Did you really look in both directories mentioned by Ender?
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 8, 2008
I did look in both directories. The problem is/was that I do not normally install my apps to the C drive, which is of course what the installer expects to do. So when I specified the directory, in my case F, it installed the 64-bit version to the F:\Program Files directory but did not install the 32 bit version to my F:\Program FIles (x86) directory. It also did not install to C:\Program Files (x86)which, I presume, explains why it listed Photoshop CS4 as "Available" in the installer when I went back to try and install it.

As I said, I appreciate Ender’s response but it implicitly assumed -despite evidence to the contrary vis-a-vis my question- that I do not know that there would be two distinct installations. Further, the fact that the 32 bit app was still listed as available in the installer (uniquely so, I might add) is evidence that the installer itself did not locate the 32 bit version, though it obviously found everything else.

I have solved the problem so there’s really no point in continuing this thread. I hope that my solution helps out anyone else who encounters this issue.

Thanks,
Paul
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 8, 2008
Honestly, I can understand people sticking with XP for 32 bit but it’s just boggles my mind that people want to use XP64.

I’ll step down from soapbox now.

I can explain very quickly why I use XP 64:
– 8 gigs RAM
– don’t like Vista

XP 64 is extremely robust and generally anything that runs on 32 will run on 64, with the exception (in my case) of Cisco’s VPN client.

In truth I have a very capable development/server machine that dual boots Windows Server 2003 R2/Windows XP 32 and I can obviously install CS4 on that, but once you get used to that extra RAM it is very hard to go back. I run Visual Studio (a resource HAWG) plus most/all CS apps simultaneously plus other stuff all the time without a hitch.

Paul

Paul
E
Ender
Nov 8, 2008

a) I never said it wouldn’t work for XP64. It just wasn’t built for it, it will likely have errors. Most people can get PS 7 installed on Vista, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to behave right.

b) You didn’t even MENTION in your original post the critical information that your not installing to the default location. I only know how it’s going to behave in the place that most everyone else is installing.
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 8, 2008

a)re: built for XP64 – note that I said "gave the [erroneous] impression," meaning that someone could plausibly infer that PSCS4 64 will not run reliably on XP 64, which is categorically untrue. I am NOT saying that there are not people who have had problems and will continue having problems with PS CS4 on XP 64.* However, I am personally attesting – having worked with PS CS on my XP 64 system a lot since buying it this week, including continuously since I reinstalled last night ( I tend to work at night) – that PS CS4 runs gloriously on XP 64, INCLUDING the OpenGL stuff once you patch the reg via the link I posted (which, by the way, would have been a valid answer to my question).

On that note, telling me stuff that I already know is NOT a valid answer. Further, as we have seen, my running this on XP 64, as opposed to Vista, was irrelevant, if only (but not really only) because that is not the system to which my question referred. How did telling me about Vista help? If you don’t know what to do with XP 64, then you don’t know….I didn’t know either, at least when I posed my question. Your reference to Vista was POINTLESS.

b) re: installing to non-default directory. I have been doing this for so long that I can’t remember not doing it, and I have never, ever had a problem like this, and I do have other dual-bit depth apps. This should be a non-issue. If I thought it was relevant I would have mentioned it, but in light of what I just said, it did not seem to be a factor. Crikey- CS3 is in that same directory! Why would Adobe’s installer get confused? They are the same structures, i.e. %disk%:\Program Files, %disk%:\Program Files (x86). If you knew things that might cause my problem – you didn’t-you might have asked about my install…. Instead, you told me what anyone who had read my question would already know that I knew, namely that there would be two different locations for the two different versions. Incidentally, and here’s good intel here, when you do get them both installed, you get BOTH versions listed in your Adobe CS4 whatever edition programs folder. Right there! So, if you had known what you were on about, you would have realized that there was NO WAY that PS 32 was mysteriously hiding somewhere. This is another clue that you knew nothing about the subject you were purportedly answering!

So why, why, why am I picking on you? Because there was a time when you could post a simple question on the internets and some helpful soul would take the time to actually read and consider the question before giving an answer that, even if not ultimately fruitful, was at least in the freaking ballpark. But those days are gone** and even though I know that and I expect nothing, I posted anyway, and along came you, with two heaping helpings of SQUAT in terms of useful advice. What the hey? Are you that bored that you just dole out crappy advice? Watch more TV or something!

Jeez!

Thanks,
Paul

* My relevant system specs are as follows, for those who may want to give XP 64 a shot: and/or are having problems: XP 64 SP2 ( there is no SP3 for 64 and parenthetically I will note that CS4 on XP 32 SP2 runs fine even though you get a warning on install that it is supposed to have SP3 installed)
8 GB RAM
AMD 64X2 5600 on AMD/ATI 780G Chipset with dual integrated ATI 3200 Graphic plus an extra ATI 3400 card running three different monitors (2 on the 3200 and one on the 3400). On my setup PS likes to enable and actually work with the OpenGL stuff when I launch either/or the 64 or 32 bit version on the monitor that is attached to the 3400 card. After that I can drag the app anywhere I want and it works.

* * in July, as myself and my girlfriend were getting ready for our vacation, we posted on a location-specific travel group to ask if people knew if the hotel we were staying at had a safe for our laptop. We got like thirteen responses, all more or less to the effect that we should leave the laptop at home when we go on vacation. Not ONE answer about the hotel! WTF???
E
Ender
Nov 8, 2008
@Paul Dee

In response to Diatribe A:
Maybe you just read in a little too far.

In response to Diatribe B:

"This should be a non-issue. If I thought it was relevant I would have mentioned it, but in light of what I just said, it did not seem to be a factor."

If you thought it was relevant? Your here asking for help because you don’t know the answer, please include critical info.

Now that I know your installing to non-default locations, I’ll go ahead an ask the first obvious troubleshooting question. What happens when you let it install to it’s default location? It doesn’t matter what you could get previous versions to do, this is a different program. Previous versions were not 64 bit, and did not install 2 versions.

The fact that your on a non-supported OS and also installing to non-default locations, could be related to the issue your having.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 8, 2008
It is a well substantiated fact that quite a few users who installed CS4 to a non-default location have had difficulties.

I think there should be a warning at the start, that this practice may lead to problems. Our ranter seems to have found one of them. Another, only evident when you have cocked up the system and want to start again, is that you can’t do a clean UN-install.
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 8, 2008
the erroneous impression that PS CS4 will not run correctly on XP 64.

It’s not that it won’t run correctly…it’s that it may not run correctly. It was not tested under XP64 and so all bets are off.

Honestly, I can understand people sticking with XP for 32 bit but it’s just boggles my mind that people want to use XP64.

I’ll step down from soapbox now.

Bob
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 9, 2008
What you fail to acknowledge is that you’re using an unsupported >system. Informing you of that basic fact is NOT IRRELEVANT at all.

It is irrelevant because XP 64 is the system I am using and was asking about, NOT Vista. Being unsupported is not the issue. Perhaps being unsupported would be the issue if I in any way demanded that Adobe do something about it, but I did no such thing. Although I will reiterate that via the patch Adobe put up they more or less did do something about it. I in no way implied that Adobe or the plugin vendors had any fault in my decision to use XP 64, nor would I ever do so.
Your insistence that Vista is relevant is akin to a guy with a peanut allergy going to an emergency room and telling the doc that he accidentally ate something with peanuts and instead of addressing the immediate concern, i.e. anaphylactic shock, the doc talks to the guy about why he shouldn’t eat peanuts!

Your attitude toward someone who at least replied and tried to help quite frankly sucks.

My attitude’s degree of sucking is directly proportional to the suckiness of the advice.

If you don’t like the advice here put in for refund.

Ahhhhh! Because it is free it bears no responsibility to be accurate, helpful or relevant? You realize you are basically saying that it is worthless, a sentiment with which I heartily agree!

And one more piece of advice…if you want information about a hotel, ask the hotel.

Wow, what a breakthrough! If only we had thought of that! When that new Sherlock Holmes movie comes out, you probably should skip it- you simply will not get it. You should have asked yourself,"Why didn’t they just ask the hotel…?" and maybe mulled it a bit, and one possible explanation that appeared may have been something like: the hotel may be remote and/or located somewhere where communication is spotty, even via email. And guess what? That would be correct! And to answer you next question/snarky comment, you make the reservations through an in-country third-party who incidentally did not know about the safe.

Thanks,
Paul
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 9, 2008
It is a well substantiated fact that quite a few users who installed >CS4 to a non-default location have had difficulties.

Obviously I was unaware of this…as was our friend Ender. Add one more data point to the sample!

I think there should be a warning at the start, that this practice may
lead to problems. Our ranter seems to have found one of them. Another, only evident when you have cocked up the system and want to start >again,
is that you can’t do a clean UN-instal

There *should* be a warning, especially with the 64 bit option, since that is apparently the catch. I will add, however, that my uninstall was uneventful and complete. No need to do any other cleanup.

Thanks,
Paul
PD
Paul_Dee
Nov 9, 2008
Now that I know your installing to non-default locations, I’ll go >ahead an ask the first obvious troubleshooting question. What happens >when you let it install to it’s default location? It doesn’t matter >what you could get previous versions to do, this is a different >program. Previous versions were not 64 bit, and did not install 2 >versions.

The fact that your on a non-supported OS and also installing to >non-default locations, could be related to the issue your having.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, please! Is it not patently, blatantly, blisteringly obvious that Ender did not score high on the read for comprehension section of the SAT? I have said, at least twice, that the issue is resolved.

Further, I have said what I did to resolve the issue *in my first reply to Ender* and my first followup to this thread (emphasis mine):

The answer was that I installed to a non-default directory which >evidently the installer cannot handle correctly. AN UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL TO THE DEFAULT PATH FIXED THIS PROBLEM.

In my second followup to this thread, to John:

I have solved the problem so there’s really no point in continuing >this thread. I hope that my solution helps out anyone else who >encounters this issue.

And yet Ender apparently thinks that I am still having the issue…and wants to know what happens when I install to the default directory.

I rest my case.

Thanks,
Paul
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 9, 2008
Is it not patently, blatantly, blisteringly obvious that Ender did not score high on the read for comprehension section of the SAT? I have said, at least twice, that the issue is resolved.

dude. you’re behaving like an a$$. please, help your self to help at another forum.

I rest my case.

good. now we won’t have to read any more of you bull cr$p.
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 9, 2008
This thread is now officially not worth the bandwidth it’s taking up. Read only!

Bob
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 9, 2008
Paul,

What you fail to acknowledge is that you’re using an unsupported system. Informing you of that basic fact is NOT IRRELEVANT at all.

Your attitude toward someone who at least replied and tried to help quite frankly sucks.

If you don’t like the advice here put in for refund.

And one more piece of advice…if you want information about a hotel, ask the hotel.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections