Posted By
willie_lawrie
Nov 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

I took this photograph of my 3 year-old grand-daughter, Selina a couple of days ago.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1HPU2ZVohY7Vl9HgNp 4GoUKzJIoYm>

I then did a little bit of cloning and added a gradient mask with noise and blur to match the background.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19uGGla3CNU6eqo9Fc PPToFBGELd2o>

I have a couple (three) of questions.
If you zoom in to her glasses you will see the reflection of the old background. What do I do to change (to what?) the reflection in her glasses.

There are blown highlights in her hair. Should I leave it as it is or should I attempt to clone hair to cover it?

The blank background is begging for a subject – anyone any idea as to what?

The original photograph is 3008x2000px but I have downsized for this topic. Likewise I haven’t done anything to the figure. I need to finish the background first then decide on hue, saturation etc.

Thanks for reading this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 7, 2008
You actually need a refraction of the background imposed on the lens. Warping a refraction of the background is a little easier when there is no longer any detail to that background.

The blank background is begging for a subject – anyone any idea as to what?

How about a computer desk just out of the focal length to make it look like your granddaughter is enjoying a moment at home in 2008? Fifty years from now, her grandchildren can gather around her and the neural transmitter helmet she will wear and ask about the funny computer contraptions we used to edit and display images back in the day.
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 7, 2008
Willie, I don’t find the reflection in the glasses troubling at all – it might be a reflection of something out of frame.

I’m glad you removed the wisps of hair by her mouth and nose in the first shot – made it look like she was smoking! 8)
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 7, 2008
I think i agree with nick (but don’t let that blemish his fine remarks! ;))

I think the reflection on the glasses in shot 2 is ok as well.
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 7, 2008
Hi Jim,

How about a computer desk just out of the focal length to make it look like your granddaughter is enjoying a moment at home in 2008

That’s a good idea but where will I get one?

Hi Nick,
I never thought of the glasses reflecting something out of frame – well done!

Hi Dave,
How you doin’.
You and I both agree with Nick but what about the blown highlights? and the blank space?

I thought of putting a flute in her hands and a snake coming out of a basket but who would believe it!
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 7, 2008
I dont want to rain on your parade,but why dont you just go outside and find a nice out of focus background and shoot something more intimate of her and quit trying to do miracles on this shot. it may have some significance to you,but i am wondering why all the trouble on this shot? do you really shoot that few photos of her that this is the one you are choosing to do something special with?
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 7, 2008
I like the outdoor idea don.

the blown highlights don’t bother me too much either. there’s only really a very small patch at the back of the head that can’t be recovered with some tweaking (i tried camera raw and also the shadow hilight adjustment). if they’re that important (and only you can really judge) you should be able to do an area that small with little fuss using cloning & healing techniques.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 7, 2008
oh and by the way – WHAT A CUTIE PIE!!! πŸ™‚

talk about not seeing the forest for the trees! i just stepped back from looking at zoomed images in a technical way and BAM! you have an adorable grand daughter willie!

I’ll have to post some updated shots of my kids in the lounge for some of the newer folks stopping by. also, you might want to add a link to this thread downstairs. many of the lounge regulars are pros at this kind of stuff in their real lives! πŸ™‚
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 7, 2008
also, you might want to add a link to this thread downstairs.

I just did… πŸ˜‰

dave milbut, "HELP! My Adobe is broken! πŸ˜‰ (Just kidding — got an actual work-related question, though!)" #33, 7 Nov 2008 3:21 pm </webx?14/32>
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 8, 2008
Hi Donald,

Your comments hurt me.

why dont you just go outside and find a nice out of focus background and shoot something more intimate of her.

I do that all the time.

quit trying to do miracles on this shot

Isn’t that what Photoshop is all about?
What is wrong with me taking a ‘crap’ photo and trying to improve it?

do you really shoot that few photos of her that this is the one you are choosing to do something special with?

I was going to shoot an old guy (with my camera) and I fired off a couple of shots in my house to test it. I liked this photo. The combination of blonde, pink & skin colour backlit by the sun coming through window blinds looked good to me. The backgound is crap. When I’m finished with it I’ll be happy to print and frame it and hang it on my wall.
Also I started this topic specifically to get advice on how to change reflection/refraction in glasses. Does it matter what the subject/photo looks like?

Hi Dave,

WHAT A CUTIE PIE!!!

Of course she is! She looks just like me – we both have our own teeth, both wear glasses & we both have blonde hair (mine is a wee bit off white).
Here is a full face photo of her. The likeness to me is uncanny. We have the same complection, only mine is hidden by a beard!
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1GkFyVxa7u4lSgVOrg KJc51aLRDgWR1>
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 8, 2008
OMG! you’re blessed willie! πŸ™‚
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 8, 2008
Hi Dave,

OMG! you’re blessed willie!

Saint Willie has a certain ring to it.

Here is a photo of her older sister Shannon who is eight years old. I took this photo when she was about four years old.
It’s one of my favourites.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1aW6KEsiFVUaAnKS5P l1tzlHsUrhmZ1>
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 8, 2008
Willie, i had no intention of getting you upset. photoshop is wonderful,but there are times were shooting something better is easier. the shot you just posted is ten times better in my opinion, but if you must do something with that one image,then go for it. sorry to get you riled up.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1sCSxrFO7hrvs25NjY VmwCeJpUQUUP1>
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 8, 2008
Donald,

It’s alright, I’ve taken my pills and I feel a lot better now. I shouldn’t have used the word ‘hurt’, I should have used the word ‘disappoint’.

there are times where shooting something better is easier

You are correct, but this isn’t one of them. I like her pose and her colours and with a darkened background this should make her stand out.

Now DON’T you go and be upset – I know the photo you have posted is only an example. That is the type of photo I don’t want to do.
The background is too bold, it competes with the figure.

Most of my photos of my grandchildren are outdoors in bright sunlight. This particular photo that I posted allows me to try and do a ‘moody’ photo. I still think her colours are great and the dark background would compliment her.

Donald thank you very much for your contribution to this topic. Now I will compliment you.
I am desperate to know how you cut her out of the background (hair and all) ? What magic button did you press?
Can I get one?
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 8, 2008
My example is a rather poor one that was done in a minute using a layer mask. it is not as good as your eye might think. just use a soft edge brush. For people photos,i would suggest you go out in overcast/soft light to do your shots instead of sunlight.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 8, 2008
but there are times were shooting something better is easier.

yup. especially stock backgrounds and stuff. or live scans, like for crumpled paper or (gasp!) broken glass! πŸ˜‰
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 8, 2008
Dave,

also, you might want to add a link to this thread downstairs. I just did…

I thought you were joking.

hey guys, anyone want to help out our latest newbie, willie lawrie, with an image question upstairs? (cute grandkid alert though!)

muchas gracias amigo!
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 8, 2008
Donald,

For people photos,i would suggest you go out in overcast/soft light to do your shots instead of sunlight

I do.
In my previous post I wrote

Most of my photos of my grandchildren are outdoors in bright sunlight.

Wrong choice of word again. Read it as outside in daylight.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 15, 2008
hi willy… sorry to go off topic… here’s the boy! πŸ™‚ dave jr.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1lXao1IpBmC6v43lA5 mCsaFpzb80yL>
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 15, 2008
Hi Dave,

Nice smile, determined look, mischievous sparkle in his eyes. Sound like you? I like your backdrop. Man-made? Or did you make it?

Selina says ,Β’WhatΒ’s HE doinΒ’ in 15 years?Β”

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1IsIK3TIsRn3CscIxV edR780Kansr>
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 15, 2008
Selina says ,Β’WhatΒ’s HE doinΒ’ in 15 years?Β”

lol!

no i didn’t shoot that one. that was a school photo done by a pro. the same guy does all the events around here, school photos, breakfasts with santa, school dances, etc. he’s very good. must be very hard to consistently take pics that good under such stress (parents and kids screaming, rushing through lines).

I’ve really been meaning to get him to do a regular family portrait for us under better conditions. he’s a super nice guy and he works out of his home or will come around.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 15, 2008
Man-made? Or did you make it?

πŸ˜€
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 15, 2008
heh. missed that! πŸ™‚
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 15, 2008
I didn’t! πŸ™‚
WL
willie_lawrie
Nov 16, 2008
If anyone is interested this is what I did with the picture of my granddaughter. It prints out well.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=115EaqhsksmuHXmbXo GKfVVAmepMck>
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 16, 2008
nice. πŸ™‚

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections