Posted By
Kenneth_Benson
Nov 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry for what’s probably a basic question:

I have a grayscale image that’s a pretty consistent 85-90% black towards the edges. I want to print it on a full page in a book, but I can’t use a bleed, so I want to fade the edges to white. I can only alter the outside 1/4".

I figured out how to select a "frame" of color on the outside (select the inside and Select > Inverse), but my attempts at using a gradient fill on this frame have not been working too well. A radial gradient fill (started from the center of the image) is too light by the time it gets to the edge of the frame, and because the frame is rectangular, it’s not consistent. Linear gradient only seems to affect one edge of the frame at a time.

Maybe I’m fishing up the wrong creek? What’s the best way to fade my 1/4" wide frame from almost black to complete white, inside to outside?

Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mylenium
Nov 7, 2008
Apply a Stroke layer style and set its mode to Gradient Burst. Should give you perfect control over edge fading. Similarly, you can use Outer Glow to the same effect.

Mylenium
KB
Kenneth_Benson
Nov 10, 2008
Thanks, mylenium

Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections