AV
Posted By
Alex_Villa
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I remember back in CS3 we had the option to use the Adobe dialog for Saving and Opening files. On CS4 I don’t have this feature anymore. Was it included or do I need to change a setting?

Thanks,

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Mylenium
Nov 3, 2008
Nope, the Adobe dialogs are gone. Too much trouble with compatibility issues on different OSs, I think…

Mylenium
MW
Mike Wickham
Nov 6, 2008
I missing the Adobe Dialog feature in Save As, too. It was a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE timesaver for me to be able to specify my own favorite folders for saving. The five available from the OS are useless and force me to manually navigate the file tree at every single save. The lost time caused by the deletion of this feature more than undoes the time savings from the new click-and-drag-on the image curves feature.

I hope Adobe brings the Adobe Dialog back. If the statement is true that there was probably "too much trouble with compatibility issues on different OSs," it’s ridiculous. How difficult can it be to program for a list of favorite folders?

The workflow is getting slower with each new release. In the last version of Bridge, they took away the ability to select a bunch of photos and drag them to the destination folder of your choice. Now, the file tree returns automatically to view the source directory, instead of the destination directory. Like I want to drag files from source to source!
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 7, 2008
Here are instructions for editing those to whatever you want. This works for XP and Vista.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/28/how-to-set-custom-short cuts-in-the-windows-xp-save-as-dialog-box/

Robert
PL
Peter_Lamont
Feb 1, 2009
Robert,

Thanks for posting a link to a possible workaround to the missing Adobe save as… dialog. It seems the link is no longer active.

Would you have any further ideas?

Thanks…
Peter
MW
Mike_Wickham
Feb 2, 2009
As a follow-up to this thread, I solved the missing Save As> Adobe Dialog> "favorites" feature with a free utility: FileBox eXtender. It adds the ability to set favorites folders in Save As… and every other window on your computer. It also has other features, and you can specify which features you want, including which program you want them to work, or not work, with. Very nice!

You can obtain the free FileBox eXtender utility here: <http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp>

Mike Wickham
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 2, 2009
Why clutter up your computer with yet another utility which does what you can already do without it?
PL
Peter_Lamont
Feb 2, 2009
Thank you Mike.
Just yesterday i found the same utility, and it works great! <http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp>

Now I’m happy again. I had a real grump-on for Adobe until i solved the issue. I guess i’ll continue to use CS4 now.

Thanks again… Peter
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 2, 2009
Wow!
MW
Mike_Wickham
Feb 2, 2009
Why clutter up your computer with yet another utility which does what you can already do without it?

Perhaps you know something I don’t. How would _you_ do it? If you’re referring to the ability to change the five favorite locations in Windows XP, I already know about that and it is insufficient. I need more than five choices when working in Photoshop– and those five are not the five I need elsewhere in Windows.

Mike Wickham
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 2, 2009
OK
AM
Aaron_Minson
Mar 13, 2009
the annoying thing I find with Save as, is that it by default goes to last folder saved in, not location where it was opened from (like CS3 did), which is extreemly annoying as I use ACDSee and if you hit Ctrl+E it opens current image in Photoshop, but the problem is becaus I open from different folders, before i realise ive saved files in different folders argggggggh.

I use shortcuts a lot, in ACDsee hit Ctrl+E, opens in photoshop, edit then hit Ctrl+w (close) then photoshop prompts you to save, or CTRL+S to save as, then ALT+TAB to switch back to ACDSee.

but now when I save as I have to doubbble check what folder it is saving to.

I mean come on, the only use this feature has, is for peoiple who have all their images in one folder!

Does anybody know if you can change this in prefrences, I looked but couldnt see.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections