W
Posted By
wntw
Oct 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a newbie to Photoshop trying to learn the ropes. I take photos with a Fuji S1 and the proofs come back 4 x 6. I want to get 4 x 5’s. How do I format or resize?
Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JW
JP White
Oct 24, 2003
wntw wrote:
I am a newbie to Photoshop trying to learn the ropes. I take photos with a Fuji S1 and the proofs come back 4 x 6. I want to get 4 x 5’s. How do I format or resize?
Thanks

Since both heights you specify are 4" you will have to use the crop tool to eliminate the unwanted width. Enter the width and height in the crop tool options bar. Then you can drag out the crop area on the photo. You will only be able to move the corners of the cropped area and/or move the cropped area around on the image. Once you are happy with the area of the crop hit enter the image will be cropped and resized to the size you specified.

JP
E
Eliska
Oct 24, 2003
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:43:57 -0400, "wntw" wrote:

Thanks

Literally

Image> Image Size >Document Size – type in the dimensions and choose inches from the drop down menu but uncheck Constrain Proportions

But the image will be distorted

If you want to crop the image, then one way you can do it is turn on the rulers – Command/Ctrl +R – and use the rectangular marquee tool (M) to draw a 4 x 5 rectangle. Then move it around the image til it’s cropped the way you want.

The copy – Command/Ctrl +C
Open a new document – Command/Ctrl +N (the document will automatically be 4 x 5)
Paste – Command/Ctrl +V
and Voila! a new 4 x 5 picture.
Save As – Shift +Command/Ctrl +S whatever name and in whatever folder you want it.

And you still have the original 4 x 6 picture.

I’m pretty new too, so there may be other ways. I’ll be watching.
S
Stephan
Oct 24, 2003
"Eliska" wrote in message
I am a newbie to Photoshop trying to learn the ropes. I take photos with
a
Fuji S1 and the proofs come back 4 x 6. I want to get 4 x 5’s. How do I format or resize?
Thanks

Literally

Image> Image Size >Document Size – type in the dimensions and choose inches from the drop down menu but uncheck Constrain Proportions

If you want to crop the image, then one way you can do it is turn on the rulers – Command/Ctrl +R – and use the rectangular marquee tool (M) to draw a 4 x 5 rectangle. Then move it around the image til it’s cropped the way you want.

Open a new document – Command/Ctrl +N (the document will automatically be 4 x 5)
Paste – Command/Ctrl +V
Save As – Shift +Command/Ctrl +S whatever name and in whatever folder you want it.

For the cropping tool you don’t need rulers, just enter the size you want in the option bar (v.7)

Stephan
E
Eliska
Oct 24, 2003
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:28:08 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

I am a newbie to Photoshop trying to learn the ropes. I take photos with
a
Fuji S1 and the proofs come back 4 x 6. I want to get 4 x 5’s. How do I format or resize?
Thanks

Literally

Paste – Command/Ctrl +V

For the cropping tool you don’t need rulers, just enter the size you want in the option bar (v.7)

Stephan

But then you don’t have the original 4 x 6 image once you crop, do you?
I really don’t know because I haven’t used the crop tool much
JW
JP White
Oct 25, 2003
Eliska wrote:

Stephan

If you start with a 4 x 6 there is no way to get to 4 x 5 AND keep the entire image without distorting the image. You have two choices, resize and distort or crop and maintain proportions.

JP
E
Eliska
Oct 25, 2003
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 07:07:11 -0500, JP White
wrote:

Eliska wrote:

Stephan

If you start with a 4 x 6 there is no way to get to 4 x 5 AND keep the entire image without distorting the image. You have two choices, resize and distort or crop and maintain proportions.

JP
Oops. Let me clarify again. If you use the marquee tool to select and copy a 4 x 5 area, then open a 4 x 5 document and paste that copy, you’ll have both a 4×5 picture AND the original 4×6 picture.

But if you use the crop tool on the original picture, the cropped part of the 4 x 6 picture is gone. Maybe that matters to the person and maybe not. I just offered it as one way to get the job done.
V
Voivod
Oct 25, 2003
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:18:58 GMT, Eliska
scribbled:

wrote:

Eliska wrote:

Stephan

JP
Oops. Let me clarify again. If you use the marquee tool to select and copy a 4 x 5 area, then open a 4 x 5 document and paste that copy, you’ll have both a 4×5 picture AND the original 4×6 picture.
But if you use the crop tool on the original picture, the cropped part of the 4 x 6 picture is gone. Maybe that matters to the person and maybe not. I just offered it as one way to get the job done.

It’s only ‘gone’ if you’re dumb enough to save over the original.
PF
Paul Furman
Oct 25, 2003
Yes this is the easiest way I think. The only caution is that if a window is picked shorter than 4 inches (assuming landscape format) the image will be upscaled which is a waste of pixels. If the crop tool is set to fixed size and dragged from outside the upper-left to the bottom, it will be the correct size and can be dragged left/right for the desired crop.

Fixed size marquee tool is another uption that won’t upsize but crop is quicker as long as you don’t upsize accidentally.

One more option is to create a template file and copy paste each image then use the move tool to preview the cropped view and saveas for each.

It’s easier to keep the old name (adding something to it) using the crop tool in the original though.

Stephan wrote:

Stephan

E
Eliska
Oct 25, 2003
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:51:34 GMT, Voivod wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:18:58 GMT, Eliska
scribbled:

wrote:

Eliska wrote:

Stephan

JP

When someone says s/he is a newbie, it helps to think about the ‘dumb’ things you once did before you gained experience. I’m still pretty new, so those gaffs are quite fresh in my mind.

In fact, I find new and exciting ways to add to them on a daily basis : )
S
Stephan
Oct 26, 2003
st offered it as one way to get the job done.

When someone says s/he is a newbie, it helps to think about the ‘dumb’ things you once did before you gained experience. I’m still pretty new, so those gaffs are quite fresh in my mind.

Vovoid didn’t mean dumb, he wanted to say careless or something like that, right Vovoid?
After you cropped your image, use Ctrl+Shift+S and save it as whatever, *crop.tiff.
When you close the original PS will ask you if you want to save the changes, chose NO.
This way you have the original (*.tiff) and the cropped version (*crop.tiff) of it.
You can also check the "save as a copy".
I personally don’t like it because "copy" doesn’t mean anything while "*crop" or "*level", etc lets me know what I did on the file.

Stephan
E
Eliska
Oct 26, 2003
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:27:46 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

st offered it as one way to get the job done.

Vovoid didn’t mean dumb, he wanted to say careless or something like that, right Vovoid?

That works for me too : )

After you cropped your image, use Ctrl+Shift+S and save it as whatever, *crop.tiff.
When you close the original PS will ask you if you want to save the changes, chose NO.
This way you have the original (*.tiff) and the cropped version (*crop.tiff) of it.
You can also check the "save as a copy".
I personally don’t like it because "copy" doesn’t mean anything while "*crop" or "*level", etc lets me know what I did on the file.
Stephan
Cool – I’ve learned some good stuff.
J
jharris3
Oct 27, 2003
If these are indeed just "proofs" you may want to consider a digital lightbox approach.

Assumptions:
4" x 6" Landscape orientation – 6" left to right 4" x 6" to 4" x 5" = 1" reduction in the long side Depending on the image, the 1" reduction doesn’t have to be done symmetrically; i.e., 1/2" from the left and right ends, but could be 1/4" and 3/4" or 1/8" and 7/8", etc.

Concept:
Place the image under a layer that has a 4" x 5" hole, move the image layer to get the best crop.

Process:
File/New… Create a new "4 x 5 Mask Tool" file, Name = 4 x 5 Mask Tool
Size = 7"wide x 4"high
white background,
dpi to match proof image.

Add Guide Lines
View/Snap To/Guides/Check
This will help with image alignment.
One along the 7" side – either side, doesn’t matter which One at each end – perpendicular to the 7" side
One at 1" – perpendicular to the 7" side
One at 6" – perpendicular to the 7" side
View/Lock Guides
Don’t want this to move later.

Duplicate the Background Layer
Rename layer to "4 x 5 Mask"
Set Opacity = 60
Use Marquee selection tool to create 4×5 box between guide lines 1" and 6" Delete selection
This creates the 4" x 5" hole
File/Save
Open target image
Drag image layer from target to "4 x 5 Mask Tool" and drop. Position Image layer under "4 x 5 hole" layer
With the Move tool, slide the image layer back and forth along the 7" guide line.
‘Snap to Guides’ will align the side of the image layer to the long side of the hole and the 1" and 6" guide lines will provide stop points for a 4" x 5" crop.

Decision Point:
Print as is with cropped area "grayed" out.
This allows you to see what you left out.
Use crop tool aligned to 4 x 5 hole to punch out the image. Done.
Use selection tool aligned to 4 x 5 hole to created a new layer or image. Multiple versions of the crop can be created and evaluated, either within layers of one file or multiple image files.

HTH

M3

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Yes this is the easiest way I think. The only caution is that if a window is picked shorter than 4 inches (assuming landscape format) the image will be upscaled which is a waste of pixels. If the crop tool is set to fixed size and dragged from outside the upper-left to the bottom, it will be the correct size and can be dragged left/right for the desired crop.

Fixed size marquee tool is another uption that won’t upsize but crop is quicker as long as you don’t upsize accidentally.

One more option is to create a template file and copy paste each image then use the move tool to preview the cropped view and saveas for each.
It’s easier to keep the old name (adding something to it) using the crop tool in the original though.

Stephan wrote:
For the cropping tool you don’t need rulers, just enter the size you
want in
the option bar (v.7)

Stephan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections