SK
Posted By
Stefan_Klein
Nov 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many operations in CS4 are very slow compared to CS3, just a few examples: – moving parts of an image with the move tool.
– transformations (not the final calculation, but the screen redraw while you drag the handles) – sreen redraw while you are turning on or off layers.

That is …. anything what needs the screen to be redrawn is much slower than in CS3. OpenGl does not have any influence on that behaviour.
It LOOKS very different with OpenGL on , but "under the hood" the screen redraw is still very slow. Zooming, panning etc. with OpenGL on is very good, but as soon as the screen has to be redrawn (because the content of the picture changes)it is as slow as with OpenGL off.
So the question is:
Why is screen redraw with OpenGL OFF (!)so much slower than in CS3? In CS3 it so fast that I can hardly follow it with the naked eye. In CS4 I can see each tile while it is displayed. I`d say it takes about 0,5 sec for one complete screen redraw.
That slow screen redraw IMO is the reason why CS4 feels so slow. Just compare it on your own system: turn OpenGL off and compare screen redraw to CS3. (BTW. CS3 was way slower in screen redraw than CS2, but you only see that on a slow machine).
My system is a Q6600, Geforce 8600GT with 512MB, 4G RAM, Vista 32bit. Since screen redraw is very slow with OpenGL OFF it can`t be graphics driver problem.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections