AB
Posted By
Acro_Bat
Oct 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Problem one, large display, 120 DPI, but PS menu and many dialog text strings are mini-sized. Tiny, tiny, tiny. You need to adhere to the DPI of the system.

Problem two, many menus are hard coded to use black text. This is a probelm because many menus do not adhere to the sysetm menu color, but instead are using the system WINDOW color. For those using black as the window color, it makes for unreadable menus. It’s possible these menus ARE using the text clor (black) but then using the WINDOW color as the menu color. This is just sloppy design. Re: Prefs, Type, the Font preview size: is using black text and a black menu. Some menus ARE using white text on black, some black on black. It shouldn’t be using BLACK as the menu background color at all.

Get some beta testers who know how to use something other than the operating system defaults. Acrobat 9 has, and has always had, the same problem. (Shaking head, pft sound, jeeez heard, etc.)

I have a feeling this is going to go on for some time, with many more GLARING problems to come.

P.S. Install disc has unicows.dll which is a windows9x support module. Get with the times!

Stay tuned (I’ll be listing the things beta testers should have caught on day one).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Curvemeister
Oct 30, 2008
You sound like a Mac person, LOL.
AB
Acro_Bat
Oct 30, 2008
Bridge has a super mini font size in the center panel, something that if it were one pt size lower it would be greeked.

Fortunately, the gfx seems to work. I’m still working on setting up the intuos3; I can’t get useful pressure sensing out of it. It works fine (still) in ps9.

Floating windows sure seem slow when moving – real clunky. It also doesn’t always repaint – the contents under it shows through. This could be a "second monitor" problem (I’ve got four monitors). No such lag or repaint problems in ps9, on any monitor.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 30, 2008
For those using black as the window color, it makes for unreadable menus.

Hint: don’t use black as the window colour!
M
Mylenium
Oct 30, 2008
Well, Adobe uses custom GUI libraries, so some things are to be expected to behave this way…

Mylenium
AB
Acro_Bat
Oct 30, 2008
Bugs are bugs.
Long-standing bugs are long-standing bugs.
and not to leave out, since I see two now,
Pointless comments are pointless comments.
AB
Acro_Bat
Oct 30, 2008
Hint: don’t hard-code black as the menu text color.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 30, 2008
Hint: don’t hard-code black as the menu text color.

Who needs this hint? You are in the wrong forum.

Try here instead. <http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 30, 2008
Adobe just cannot get it right.

Exactly. No doubt you could do a much better job. Why don’t you write a competing program and make your fortune instead of complaining to other users as though Adobe will react.
J
jcates
Oct 30, 2008
(Shaking head, pft sound, jeeez heard, etc.)

Exactly.

When will whiners realize this is a user to user forum?

[Shaking head, pft sound, jeeez heard, delete button heard being pressed]
M
Mylenium
Oct 30, 2008
However, the beta-testers, if there were any, are probably point- and-click types so "that’s to be expected"

Acro, that’s a more than blatant insult and only illustrates how little you understand about the process. You come across as extremely unthankful. Maybe we should send you one of the early builds so it chews up your hard drive as it has done with some testers’ machines? There are people working their asses off on this for months or even years, and you are simply not entitled to spread such nonsense. It’s impossible to cover every angle in a complex app such as PS and naturally some issues slip and because they are never high enough on the "To Fix" list, they may slip for a few versions. In any case, you are ranting about something that is certainly a non-issue for 99.99% of users, so now imagine how much weight your assertions really have compared to more serious issues…

Mylenium
AB
Acro_Bat
Oct 31, 2008
Got the opengl not working at start dialog. Sure enough, it was disabled (unchecked). I’ve started it probably several dozen times, and now it decides to pop up. (nvidia 178.24, 8800gts/512 and 8800fts/320.)

On the black on black, it’s not JUST all the font-related drop-down menus, it’s also in many other drop down menus like the Adjustments panel (e.g., Hue/saturation drop down). This black on black has going on for YEARS. Somebody there needs to take responsibility for this catastrophe.

Myl: you have a lot of bluster but you are little help from what I have seen – in other words, you think you know more than you do. You have contributed NEGATIVELY to this topic. Why not just go away, you cannot improve the situation. You know nothing useful.
P
Phosphor
Oct 31, 2008
He can defend himself, but…

Acro:

How long have you been regularly and actively participating in this forum? Not too long that I know of. Most of your content in the Acrobat threads consists of complaining too, for the few random samples I read.

Mylenium appeared on the scene several months ago, and from the very start has contributed quite a lot, both in answering nuts & bolts questions on technique and procedure as well as offering compelling contributions to discussions about UI philosophy, application coding, color theory among various other subjects.

You, on the other hand, pop in and start complaining, without offering much in the way of forward-thinking suggestions or conjecture.

When you have as much postive content to your name then you might have some room to criticize others.

Until then, you can either continue digging your hole, or you can start building a nice tower.
AB
Acro_Bat
Oct 31, 2008
You seem to confuse helpful contributions with time-served. Point out ONE useful thing Myl. has contributed in THIS thread. Why does he persist? Why do you? Just GO AWAY!
P
Phosphor
Oct 31, 2008
"Why do you?"

I persist because itfeels to me like you need a little help with understanding how to get along with people.

I’ve been a regular, daily contributor for about 10 years, so I think I might be qualified to point out a little about the social climate here. I consider this place MY forum and one of my homes online. Try to understand that I might get a little bit defensive when new registrants come in and feel it’s OK to stomp around with muddy boots. I’d no more tolerate the same behavior from a visitor to my brick and mortar home.
F
Freeagent
Oct 31, 2008
I get so pissed off by people like this acrobat character.

What makes them tick? I don’t get it. They just suck out everybody’s energy. They give nothing.
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 1, 2008
Acro,

Your posts here are limited to baseless complaints and it’s really no wonder that the regulars are all over you.

This is a user to user forum and while you’re welcome to contribute you don’t get to choose who responds or what that response is.

Give it a rest. If you want to rant to Adobe please do so directly. Nobody here could do anything even in the unlikely event they agreed with you.

Bob
AB
Acro_Bat
Nov 1, 2008
It’s sloppy. Buggy. It works, sure. But for $1000.00 for a single DVD running about 800 MB, it needs to be a LOT better on release. The black text on black background on all font drop down menus, on the new Adjustments panel drop downs, and no doubt MANY other places is just plain sLOPPY.

This is not a "baseless complaint", it’s a very real systemic problem going back YEARS. It’s BEYOND sloppy.

And the forum, with those that dismiss this, or the many other problems, with a "uh, dude, like, cs4 is way complicated man, and that’s like, to be expected" as if that’s useful are why online forums like this have so much noise and so LITTLE signal.

And, in case you have been following, the ENTIRE forum is nothing but filled with complaints, and there’s Myl., that +/- guy, and the "regulars" all doing there part to add noise to the real problem – sloppy, sloppy software.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 1, 2008
And, in case you have not been following, the ENTIRE forum is nothing but filled with complaints

Since Oct 15, Acro. That’s LIKE, a pretty short time, even in this digital life. Hour-gongs and the green of the lamp.
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 1, 2008
This thread has outlived what little usefulness it had. Read only.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections