GG
Posted By
Gavin_Grimshaw
Oct 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve had a extremely annoying photoshop issue for a very long time. I was hoping CS4 would eliminate this hideous bug but it’s made it marginally worst.

My studio makes video games so we often work in 3ds Max 7 & photoshop simultaneously. 3ds Max doesn’t work very well with Vista Aero enabled, so those of us with Vista run the Aero Basic scheme.

Photoshop CS3 & CS4 actually run way SLOWER in Aero Basic. You’ll see this while zoomed in using the airbush. Even the cursor jumps across the screen without any tool being in use. If i change my cursor to ‘standard’ or ‘precise’ in the preferences the lag will go away.

There must be many others that have noticed this problem. Has it not been fixed because its not possible? No one figured out what causes it? Many users that want maximum performance out of their workstations will disable aero. I’m sure this is embarrassing for adobe because it effects very high end machines.

Please Adobe, fix this bug.

Running in full Aero Mode is VERY smooth but I cannot use that because i need Max running too.

I’m running on a Nvidia 9800GTX. Same problems on other earlier Nvidia cards too. No ATIs here.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Mylenium
Oct 29, 2008
You could just as well update MAX, couldn’t you? 😉 Or are you using any custom stuff in your engine or specific plugins? Newer versions of MAX are compatible with Vista/Aero as far as I’m informed. The lag certainly is related to graphics overlay drawing, but beyond the usual "Install the latest driver" I can’t really give any tips. At least for CS4 the latest 178.x driver fixed the annoying "incomplete cursor" issue and gave better overall performance, both on XP32 and XP64 and it might be just what you need as well. Question is, whether you can/ should do so, as probably you will need your system for compatibility testing of your game as well and thus ma be tied to a specific set of conditions…

Mylenium
GG
Gavin_Grimshaw
Oct 29, 2008
We are stuck with Max V7 because of multiple importers/exporters & plugins. Max2009 isn’t an option right now.
Running 178.24.

Any prolonged painting sessions I have to use The Gimp. No lag & its free.
GG
Gavin_Grimshaw
Nov 4, 2008
IS there any solution to this? Any chance a patch is going to be released for it?
F
Freeagent
Nov 4, 2008
I don’t really see why Adobe should feel any obligation to "fix" it as long as the real problem is you running an older version of Max. It seems to me this is where you should be spending your energy:

multiple importers/exporters & plugins. Max2009 isn’t an option right now.
GG
Gavin_Grimshaw
Nov 4, 2008
Few games companies can afford to recompile plugins every time a new version of Max is released. Especially since in recent years Max hasn’t provided significant features worth upgrading for.

Many games studios are still using older versions of Max; admittedly most are also still using XP. PS cursor problems are one of the reasons.

With all the bloated features added to PS over the years, this seems like a simple & important fix. It effects CS2, CS3 & CS4. Alot of our guys still use CS1 because the more recent PS versions are considered bloated & laggy.

Maybe a ‘light’ power user version for the furture is something to think about. CS4 is several GBs of god knows what. The Gimp is 25meg & improving.

I’m sure we don’t need GBs of bloat & services forced upon us.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections