Posted By
Paul_Galinis
Oct 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

My apologies if the following has been answered (or if there is just no answer). From what I can see I have run into an aspect ratio (i.e., 1.25 vs. 1.33) issue for my images (using PhotoShop and/or Microsoft PhotoEditor):

I’ve created documentation for nearly ten years for an older type company using a CRT monitor. The monitor allowed me to use all resolutions when working with images without any screen degradation. Generally I used a resolution of 800 by 600 but would change, if necessary, due to the project. At this point, I’ve been given a new LCD monitor and am at the mercy of its native resolution (i.e., 1280 by 1024) even at a higher DPI. In other words, if I work with images and text other than its native resolution (i.e., highest resolution), their appearance is distorted and/or blurred. Since my documentation is image and/or graphics intensive, this is an issue for me to consider.

The first issue regarding this change came about this week. I was asked to revise a section of a manual I created awhile ago. Thus, I found myself saving images in a screen resolution of 1280 by 1024. The original document saved images in a screen resolution of 800 by 600. I feel I can get away with things if its only a few images. However, if I have to revise complete sections; I just don’t think things look consistent. For one thing, I’m now using ClearType Font on the LCD monitor vs. the old CRT.

I would like to see if there is a way to somehow change an image saved in 1280 by 1024 screen resolution to 800 by 600 (with similar quality when revising documentation). If not, I think I’ll inquire about using two monitors at my desk – using the CRT for revised documentation and LCD for new projects. Agree/Disagree with this scenario?

Thank you all very much for your time,

Paul Galinis

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
disagree. i think it’s just a perception issue. as long as you’re working in the lcd’s native resolution all should be fine.

and it certainly won’t effect the OUTPUT of the images, except as to how you see them on your screen.

now having 2 monitors, i have no problem with. if you can use this as an excuse to go for 2 monitors, i say go for it. you’ll never want to go back. 😉
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 29, 2008
What about input? Is it a screen capture issue?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
ah… good point. that WOULD be affected by screen res…
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 29, 2008
For one thing, I’m now using ClearType Font on the LCD monitor vs. the old CRT.

This is what worries me. Even if Paul set his screen to 800×600 for captures, this new font rendering (?) might still keep them from matching old ones… it does appear you can turn it off, so Paul might have to do that too.
PG
Paul_Galinis
Oct 30, 2008
Dave and J,

Thank you for your help. This situation has been an education for me. Didn’t realize an LCD monitor would affect me in such a negative way. Well, better to know now. Anyway, I do my documentation in Word. If you don’t set the LCD monitor to its highest resolution, things are just blurred in my opinion. Therefore, I’m using the native resolution but increased the DPI and things are better. However, images remain small from their original (and difficult to work with to boot for these eyes).

At this point, I’m going to type in Word at the monitor’s native resolution and higher DPI and revert to the native resolution at its normal view when working with images (and go blind in the process – Ha!). The more I think about things, the more I think two monitors would work (CRT for images and LCD for writing). If the LCDs allowed screen resolution changes without screen degradation, there would be no problem (at least for me). Oh well…

Thanks again for your response(s),

Paul
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 30, 2008
In UK we have SpecSavers. 😉
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 30, 2008
And Snappy Snaps, with the alien finger…ahhh!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections