Posted By
Terry_McCann
Oct 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello All:

I’m not happy with the way my LCD displays pictures. Question: is it better to go back to a CRT for photo editing or are there any LCDs out there that can pass the test.

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Oct 27, 2008
I’m not happy with the way my LCD displays pictures

What is it? Have you calibrated it?

There are flat screen monitors available nowadays that will out-perform CRTs.
TM
Terry_McCann
Oct 27, 2008
Hey John,

When viewing photos they appear to have a bit of noise in them. Also, depending on your eye level to the screen the colors seem to be a bit stronger or weaker (washed out). The LCD is a 21" Acer displaying at 1480×900 (I think, not at the desktop at the moment).
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 27, 2008
Is that the native resolution of the monitor? If not, then set to whatever it should be.

Bob
TM
Terry_McCann
Oct 27, 2008
Yes, that is the native resolution.
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 27, 2008
TN panel?

They should be avoided for all image making purposes. However, they’re good for word processing though.
GA
George_Austin
Oct 28, 2008
Chris,

Until you cited TN panels as inadequate and I then Googled them, I had not realized the extent of their deficiencies for color work. I find it shocking that they use only 6 bits and only simulate 8-bit quality. Yet, I am editing my images with a TN panel and Costco is printing them with astounding quality, considering the sickly tone-depth of my monitor.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 28, 2008
Terry,

Check out:

< http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&th readid=1745344&enterthread=y>

S-IPS (and I think also S-PVA) monitors are said to be the best for photo work. LaCIE, NEC, EIZO, APPLE and others sell monitors (usually thir higher end) that use these better technologies. Many folks complain of LCD monitors being too bright. Usually the ones preferred for photo work are not as bright as those intended for watching movies and/or playing video games.

I’m still using a Mitsubishi DP2040u and hope that LCD technology advances a bit more before I’m forced to switch. I have yet to find an LCD monitor (at any price) that I prefer to a high-end CRT for colour critical work.

Russell
JH
Jeff_Holmes
Oct 28, 2008
Dell Ultrasharp is arguably the best flat panel on earth. Unless you include the Wacom Cintiq, but there’s $2,000 price difference.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 28, 2008
Dell Ultrasharp is arguably the best flat panel on earth.

I’m a very big fan but I don’t think I’d go that far. They’re most certainly the best value.

Bob
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 28, 2008
Ditto on Ultrasharp, have three.
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 28, 2008
I do not think that it is possible to go CRT anymore, it’s been years that tube screens have not been manufactured.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 28, 2008
I love my Eizo!

And my Dell.
P
Phosphor
Oct 28, 2008
Terry…

If you exercise patience and perseverance, you can find great CRTs with lots of usable life remaining on ebay and CraigsList. Just bide your time, and when you find a seller, try to get as much straight info from them as you can about how much the monitor was used, what kind of environment, etc.

They’re out there, and they can be had for a reasonable price. The real killer is shipping changes. Look for a seller within driving distance first.
JH
Jeff_Holmes
Oct 28, 2008
I’m a very big fan but I don’t think I’d go that far.

Well, that’s why I said arguably. They are the best basic LCD I’ve had, but I also couldn’t calibrate 2 of them identically which drove me nuts.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 28, 2008
If you so shop for a crt, get one that allow adjustments to each RGB gun, then open the control panel, set the guns to their optimum value at rated brightness, then examine how much of each gun is being used, expressed as a percentage. if you have 70% or less of each gun being used, you have pretty good life. My Mitsubishi is using 90% of the red gun to match the lower percentages of the others. If course, if you don’t mind less brightness, you can extend the life, but eventually non-linearity will set in and your crt is toast.

So, I am thinking maybe one more year. there is a way to "flash" the cathodes of the electron gun but….

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections