Photoshop CS4 slowdown when Lightroom is open…

TB
Posted By
Tyler_Bertrand
Oct 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey everyone,

I am using Lightroom (x64) to manage and sort my files and my typical workflow has me editing in Photoshop (CS4 x64) from out of lightroom. I noticed at first that when I tried the new healing brush that it was a lot slower than the CS3 version of the brush. One day I was editing out of Bridge and noticed a significant speed boost while using the brush, it was working like the previous version of the brush. I pointed the finger at Lightroom, so I opened it and tried editing out of LR again. Same slow down. The only thing I can think of is that they are both using openGL and there might a conflict somewhere? LR works fine by itself and PS also work great while LR is closed. And PS works fine as long as it isn’t using any of the new openGL (assumption) features, like the healing brush. If anyone else has been experiencing this and has found a solution I am all ears. My system is a Q6600, 8gb ram, ati Radeon 3850, all drivers are up to date.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Mylenium
Oct 26, 2008
Quite possible. Concurrent use of OpenGL is always critical. However, since you are using both programs as native 64bit versions, I wouldn’t rule out simple RAM shortage. In its default config, PS will use 3.8 something GB and if LR is just as hungry, your 8GB will not last forever. Perhaps try lowering the RAM usage in the prefs and see if it makes any difference.

Mylenium
SK
Stefan_Klein
Oct 26, 2008
Since when is Lightroom using OpenGL?
TB
Tyler_Bertrand
Oct 26, 2008
In terms of RAM usage, I am fine, it’s totaling around 6gb when both are running.

In terms of OpenGL, I just assumed it was. I am using LR 2 and thought that was the reason for the speed of the adjustment brush and thumbnail sizing. It seems visually obvious to me when either PS or LR does a redraw using openGL. Please correct me if I’m wrong, as I can’t seem to find any documentation.
SK
Stefan_Klein
Oct 26, 2008
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404898> it says:
"Q. Is Photoshop Lightroom GPU accelerated?
A. No."
So there`s no OpenGL

Photoshop of course does.
TB
Tyler_Bertrand
Oct 26, 2008
Ok great, I don’t know why I assumed LR was using openGL. My brain just automatically linked the 2. This should help me troubleshoot a bit more, thanks for the help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections