Text typing feedback slow in Photoshop CS4…

AW
Posted By
Allen_W
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Text typing feedback is noticably slow in Photoshop CS4. I don’t have this problem in CS3. Can this be fixed?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Oct 23, 2008
Yes. Reset the type tool. If it persists check for faulty fonts.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 15, 2009
ive already tried but its still slow…
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 15, 2009
Indeed. Text typing is chronically slow. CS2 does not exhibit the glacial behaviour.
DN
David_Nicol
Jan 15, 2009
If you scour various recent posts on this forum, you’ll find that the slow typing tool is one of the new and wonderful bugs in CS4 of the kind that happen on some systems and not others, and there is apparently no rhyme or reason for it. For example, I experience many of the terrible brush lag issues reported on this forum, but not the unresponsive text tool. Others report both, still others report text problems but no brush lag. This inconsistency doesn’t help the engineers track down the issue, which means a bug fix is that much more difficult.

As much as I’d like to give CS4 a chance, I the current solution to the bugs is not to blame drivers or fonts or virus scanners or third party plugins. The current solution is to use CS2 or CS3 until someday a mega-patch is available to make CS4 function as advertised.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 15, 2009
I hate to say this, but it is instantaneous here.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 18, 2009
JJ, I have a suspicion that in your lawn all clovers are of the four-leaf variety!
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 18, 2009
real time typing in cs4 here too…

Have you tried disabling font preview in preferences – it might help.

What specs do you have? We cannot help if we don’t have these details as every configuration is different…..just saying it’s too slow isn’t enough.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 19, 2009
Here are my specs. Disabling font preview has no affect on text typing.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 11.0 (11.0×20080919 [20080919.r.488 2008/09/19:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit
Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:15, Stepping:6 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2 Physical processor count: 2
Processor speed: 2128 MHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors
Video Card Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.11.7824
Built-in memory: 2047 MB
Free memory: 1308 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1692 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 64 %
Image cache levels: 8
Serial number: ***
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\ Temporary file path: C:\DOCUME~1\Khepri\LOCALS~1\Temp\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
E:\, 10.00G, 1.94G free
H:\, 10.00G, 9.16G free
Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins\ Additional Plug-ins folder: not set
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 19, 2009
Not much room on E:\ !

Is H:\ external?
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 19, 2009
Also, is the scratch disk on a partition?…If so it’s going to cause performance issues a single drive cannot write to multiple locations simultaneously – a dedicated separate drive is needed for the scratch ….and I also wonder if 10gb is enough.
KI
Kyoko_Itoda
Jan 19, 2009
Turn off your OpenGL option in Preferences, this might be able to help your performance.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 20, 2009
already have opengl on
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 20, 2009
Turn off your OpenGL option in Preferences …

Disabling OpenGL does indeed make text typing a pleasure – tap the key and the letter appears immediately on the screen. With OpenGL enabled the text can appear 3 or more seconds later.

No doubt the problems are related to sloppy video driver software, but where in the following document does it indicate that OpenGL can affect the text tool.

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405745>
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 20, 2009
already have opengl on

Yes, but he said to turn it off.
KI
Kyoko_Itoda
Jan 20, 2009
I think this is Photoshop issue because I heard that NVIDIA family of cards 7000 series seems to have a problem, so it would be best for you to turn off “advanced rendering” or turn off OpenGL/Preferences.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 22, 2009
I have nvidia 6800 gt card and i also have this problem
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 24, 2009
The nVidia 6000 series is probably 5 years old or so; it’s unlikely to be able to offer much GPU functionality to a 2008 program that is taking advantage of advanced CPU capabilities. Good luck.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 24, 2009
Why are we talking about GPU capabilities with respect to the Type tool? Where in the Adobe documentation does it indicate that the GPU is involved and can affect the performance of the Type tool?
DE
David_E_Crawford
Jan 24, 2009
Here is a web page to "help" trouble shoot all windows based operating systems with slow typing response.

<http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00129.htm>
KI
Kyoko_Itoda
Jan 26, 2009
The 6800 is the previous generation, and probably needs to run in non-advanced rendering mode as well.
This page is for OpenGL:
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404898>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections