How do I insert a flyer made in Photoshop into the body of an email…

BC
Posted By
BJ_Cephas
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I made a flyer in Photoshop, I saved it as a JPG. Then I went into my email client AOL to insert it into the body of the email to send out to my clientele. I sent it to myself first to check the resolution etc. The problem is I cannot get it to keep the orginal aspect ration within the email. I compared it to other flyers sent to me, that were produced in Photoshop, I checked all the specs and everything in them matched mine. When I put them into the email the retained their orginal format. So what am I doing wrong that mine will not. I am sure it is something simple I am not aware of doing as I am new to the program.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am working in Photoshop CS3 on a Dell.

BJ

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Oct 23, 2008
Your problem is AOL
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2008
You need to get real ISP
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 23, 2008
I believe the problem is that AOL uses proprietary image handling. I think it has an .art extension, not so sure about it, haven’t touched AOL in a decade.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 23, 2008
The only time I touch AOL is to clean it off other users’ computers!
BC
BJ_Cephas
Oct 23, 2008
Ok I see AOL is the ‘BIG Monster’ here. However my question minus the AOL part, am I not doing something in the final saving process that would give me a better result? Many people I email to are on AOL and I recieve emails all the time with embedded flyers and they read fine.

I just need to know if there is something else I should be doing in the final process after building my flyer in Photoshop so that it translates well for all browsers.

Thank you all, BJ
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 23, 2008
What happens if your recipients’ email clients do not display images by default? Will your message still get across?

< http://www.emaillabs.com/tools/email-marketing-statistics.ht ml#blockedimages>

Hopefully, you have no more than 100 recipients to your email marketing as AOL imposes a limit.

The comparison between messages you send and those you have received should be clearly made. Were those messages that you received sent from AOL? Were they sent with the same AOL mail client? Do they use images attached to the message or called from a web server?
BC
BJ_Cephas
Oct 23, 2008
Hi Jim,

Were those messages that you received sent from AOL? No
Were they sent with the same AOL mail client? No
Do they use images attached to the message or called from a web server? Now that I think about it I am betting that they were sent from their server.

Which leads me to ask how that is done?

It just seems that this process can’t be all that hard and I am just missing some step.

Thank you for your reply,
BJ
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 23, 2008
Most HTML email marketing is done by calling images hosted on a web server. This makes delivery more efficient because the sender does not need to send image data with every message. Images are only called from the web server if the user opens the email.

Of course, if you are not using a web server, then you are stuck with packing the image files in your email.

It may be good to check out the web design forum (and GoLive/Dreamweaver forums) here as this HTML mail topic comes up often.
BC
BJ_Cephas
Oct 23, 2008
Thank you Jim finally an answer that makes sense. I will check our webserver capabilities and go to the forum at GoLive/Dreamweaver. Thank you, BJ
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 27, 2008
If you include external images in an email, many people won’t see them, since many email programs now (Huzzah!) turn off the ability to display external images by default. The user will need to click on something or add the sender to a safe senders list to see the images automatically. This is a good thing, as automatic external image display was misused for the spreading of viruses and trojans.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 27, 2008
This is a good thing, as automatic external image display was misused for the spreading of viruses and trojans.

not to mention marketers with single pixel tracking cookies used to verify they’ve found a live address…
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 27, 2008
Yep. I don’t think MS had any problems with "web bugs" or "web beacons" such as those, but even Microsoft made the default not to display external images, after the baddies started loading .exe files as though they were images or audio files.
W
WhoDunnit
Dec 27, 2008
wrote in message
Yep. I don’t think MS had any problems with "web bugs" or "web beacons" such as those, but even Microsoft made the default not to display external images, after the baddies started loading .exe files as though they were images or audio files.

flatten to a jpeg using save for web and send it whole?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections