SK
Posted By
Stefan_Klein
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There are some questions I have about screen redraw in CS4. First off screen redraw without GPU acceleration is much slower than in CS3. In the "advanced options" of the GPU settings there is the option "color matching".
If I turn it off I don`t have the option to softproof anymore. That is turning softproof on or off doesn`t change the colors anymore.
If I turn it on, I can softproof again but I get banding in a black to white gradient. Slight, but noticable. To see the diffenrence that the settings make you have to close and open the document again.

Vista 32bit Geforce 8600 GT/512MB, newest driver

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Mylenium
Oct 20, 2008
Mmh, might be a limitation in the implementation of OpenGL. In theory you should see no artifacts at all on your card. Color Matching enables an extra processing step which is required for non-sRGB images, so you cannot really go without it if you use hardware accel. I’m just not sure how it all goes together, as I’m a video-centric user and usually forego any of that color profile stuff. Maybe someone more qualified can provide some better info to you.

Mylenium
SK
Stefan_Klein
Oct 20, 2008
Now I made a gradient in ProPhoto RGB. Wow, this is really ugly. Banding and red/green shifts within that banding if "color matching" is on. But without "color matching" there`s no colormanagement at all.
Looking at that same file in CS3 everything is fine!
SK
Stefan_Klein
Oct 21, 2008
Can anyone replicate this behaviour?
Just make a B/w gradient in ProPhoto RGB and see if you get banding.Then turn off "color matching" (in Open GL`s advanced settings) and test again. Then test again without Open GL.
MS
Maasel_Sull
Oct 22, 2008
Funny bug in CS4, when I enable OpenGL I cannot see picture. Its grey frame. Picture shows up only when I moving it.

Vista 32bit Geforce 8600 GT/512MB, newest driver

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections