MC
Posted By
Massi_C
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a ATI 4850 512MB card and I find the performance in CS4 not to good. If I rotate or pan a 4 megabit dng image it is very choppy. I checked some videos on the net and they look way more smooth. This ia an example:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQNyHTuj8Y>

I’m using the latest Catalyst drivers 8.10. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Max

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mylenium
Oct 20, 2008
What operating system? Screen resolution? All service packs installed properly? Do other OpenGL apps work (if you’re using any)?

Mylenium
DC
d_cole
Oct 20, 2008
I’m interested in the answer to this too. I am about to install a Gigabyte ATI GV-4850MC 1Gb in my Vista/Asus p5K Premium/Q9550 cpu/x2 WD Velociraptor HDDs/3Gb DDR2/Asus Xonar D2X sound card/1920×1200 on NEC2690 LCD system. I’m not expecting problems – just interested to know what the issue and solution are here.

David
MC
Massi_C
Oct 20, 2008
I’m using Vista Ultimate 32 with SP1 and all the updates installed. My resolution is 1600×1200. I don’t have other "professional" OGL applications to test with, but I know the 4850 is listed in adobe HW list as tested and it is fully OGL 2.0 and shader 4.0 compliant.

The computational power of a 4850 is more than enough to move a 2000×2000 pixels image around.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 21, 2008
Where do you find the hardware list?

Paul
M
Mylenium
Oct 21, 2008
There’s a (preliminary) compatibility list somewhere in the knowledge base. Anyway, the config sounds fine. Do you experience any problems with Vista’s visual effects when PS is open? If yes, this would indicate a resource conflict. As a first step, I would manually turn all those effects off or even choose one of the old Windows Classic layouts. If that doesn’t help, then there’s something deeper, but I don#t feel fit to provide any tips on that as I have no such card anywhere near me to verify.

Mylenium

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections