Posted By
suiram22
Oct 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I have a problem with CS3. Since a few weeks I can’t use properly "Colour Range" feature. Especially for bright colour the Colour Range doesn’t select what I want to select. For example I want to select a bright cloud and can’t select it with Colour Range. Of course I checked if there is any information or I have a burn area.

I use several different setting but I still have the problem. I used 8/16 bit, Adobe RGB/sRGB
At Colour Range I use:
– Sampled colours
– Selection
– Fuzziness: how much I need it
– Selection preview: None

I need help…
Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GA
George_Austin
Oct 20, 2008
Possibly you are missing something in the way you apply this command. Here’s how I use it to select patchy clouds with ragged edges and continuosly varying shades of gray:

Select the eyedropper tool on the Toolbar and on the options bar set the sample size to 3×3.

Activate the Color Range command. Activate the "selection" radio button and choose "none" in the selection preview. In the "select" box, choose "sampled colors".

Set a trial fuzziness of,say,50. Click with the eyedropper on a point in the midst of the color you want to select. That’s your "base" color.

Then switch to the "Color Added" (plus) eyedropper, holding the left mouse button down while dragging it over areas deviating from the base color but which you want included.

If there are non-contiguous areas with still different colors you also want to include, release the mouse and move the cursor to those areas before dragging again.

All the while, keep an eye on the dialog box display which shows what you’ve selected, albeit crudely. If you pick up unwanted colors, switch to the "subtract from sample" (minus) eyedropper and drag it over those areas.

When you think you’ve got it about right, experiment with the fuzziness slider to see if you can improve things by increasing or decreasing fuzziness.

Don’t re-use the plain eyedropper unless you want to start all over again.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections