MM
Posted By
Mike_Morrell
Oct 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can I safely remove my \Documents and Settings\myuser\Local Settings\Temp files and directory? I have 18 GB of stuff in there and I have no idea what any of it is.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CF
chris_farrell
Oct 16, 2008
..tmp files are usually deletable without problems. If the system is still using them it’ll stop you.
F
Freeagent
Oct 16, 2008
There’s a utility called CCleaner that takes care of .tmp files as well as a bunch of other garbage. Highly recommended. It’s free (although donations are well deserved.)
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 16, 2008
CCleaner is good. You can choose exactly what you want to clean. The first time you run the analysis it’s amazing to see how much junk there is strewn all over the place.

It takes a bit of nerve to blow it all away but you can vet every file if you wish and it offers to back up the registry before cleaning that.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 16, 2008
\Documents and Settings\myuser\Local Settings\Temp

yes.

also

c:\temp

and c:\windows\temp

why use a utility (i.e. load another program) when all you need to do is browse to the folder and delete?
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks Dave, I can delete the files myself. All I want to know is if its likely to be harmful to delete files in this directory. They are NOT all named *.tmp
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 16, 2008
All I want to know is if its likely to be harmful to delete files in this directory.

nope. that’s why they’re "temp". any file that’s in use by a currently running program will be locked and you’ll get an error when you try to delete.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 16, 2008
why use a utility

Not just to delete temp files but to remove all the other junk strewn all over the computer and to clear out dead entries in the registry.

Just watch the cookies though.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 16, 2008
do you strew junk all over your computer? 🙂

dead reg entries is another matter. i’ll check it out, although with a fresh install i shouldn’t have many. 😉
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 16, 2008
I use System Suite, great utility package for Windows.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 16, 2008
The Registry window:

<http://imageshack.us>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections