Posted By
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just a workflow observation.

On my Workstation (8gb, 2 dual-core processors, Vista 64-bit) I loaded last weekends wedding. Only thing running in the background is Photoshop with just one test image to learn the new program on.
I fired up the Bridge, the way it downloaded, no changes, and loaded up the wedding folder. There are 5427 images from the entire day over 3 cameras (Mark III, 5D, Mark II) Total size is 64.4 gb.
For adobe to load up the thumbs, sort and finish it’s extractions and wheel-turning, it has so far taken over 50 minutes and we aren’t finished…. The preview extractions are still counting down with somewhere around 2000 images to go, at a rate of 2/second.

I’m no math wiz or PS guru, but when it’s done thinking, I’ll repost the time.

If there is a better way to help the Bridge think, please enlighten me?

I have a trial version of PM that is lightning-fast responsive. I was just hoping the new Bridge would be efficient for filtering the weddings down quickly. CS3 crashed so much that I was forced to get PM last week.

….and no, that’s not a plug for PM. Believe me, i WANT Adobe to be the only program. I can’t stand having to float between programs just to do my job.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 15, 2008
Decrease the size of the thumbnails in preferences.
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
took 70 minutes total…
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
Opened up the same wedding folder in PM, and I’m filtering images in 3 minutes.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 15, 2008
Is there an echo in here?
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
yes there is John. Sorry. I realized my first post wasn’t in correct topic, so I just reposted.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 15, 2008
what’s PM?
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
photo mechanic
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 15, 2008
thanks.
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
yw
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
found it.
just to the left of the Sort options on the upper right of the screen, under the workspace quick links.
It allows you to browse quickly just using the embedded jpegs
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 15, 2008
Exactly, was just about to suggest that.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 16, 2008
What did that kick your time down to…from 70 minutes?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 16, 2008
And if you do not have embedded jpegs, just RAW?
SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 16, 2008
Hi Lawrence,

Do you have such a situation? The embedded jpeg isn’t the RAW + JPG scenario, but just a RAW file.

At any rate if all you have are files with RAW data and no thumbnail then that RAW data has to be processed. In other words there’s going to be work for any program to display the image. This is true for CS3 and CS4.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 16, 2008
Steve’s right, the embedded preview isn’t the same as shooting "Raw+JPEG".
T
troyhark
Oct 17, 2008
To explain further – Bridge can use the small embedded jpeg normally present in the RAW file to load previews really quickly. This file is usually present even if not shooting RAW+JPEG. This is the trick Photo Mechanic has utilised for many years, which is why it is so fast and which Aperture has recently adopted, as now has Bridge.
What this means in reality is that you can import and immediately sort/sift/rename/label/rate etc without waiting for previews to be rendered.
Though bear in mind that when quick preview is enabled, RAW edits won’t be visible.

So if there is no embedded JPEG for some reason, then PM will not be quick either.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 17, 2008
Every RAW file has a JPG preview embedded and there’s even image repair apps out there that can extract the JPG from a corrupted RAW file.

Example: <http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/>

Russell
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 17, 2008
I only shoot RAW with a D80.

I looked at the app Russel posted, and it apparently installs in the memory card. That means every time I erase the card and/or reformat it, the app has to be reloaded?
T
troyhark
Oct 18, 2008
This is a new utility that people seem to be getting excited about <http://www.rawworkflow.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/> which unsurprisingly will extract the JPEG from the RAW file.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Oct 18, 2008
I looked at the app Russell posted, and it apparently installs in the memory card. That means every time I erase the card and/or reformat it, the app has to be reloaded?

No way Lawrence!

‘Preview Extractor’ is a stand alone app that does what many other similar utilities do -> extracts the JPG that’s embedded in every RAW file whether you ask your camera to do so or not. It does not even need to be installed as the little app just runs as a standalone utility. Nothing to install or uninstall. Not sure that you were looking at??

I once salvaged a bunch of NEFs that were damaged via a bad hard disk write and I was able to recover usable (full size) JPGs from the damaged NEFs even though the NEFs themselves would not open.

This app certainly does not need to be installed on memory cards…

Russell
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 19, 2008
I wouldn’t think so but here’s a line from the link:

"Put this little program in your CF card and bring it with you anywhere. You will be able to review your pictures even on computers where Nikon software is not installed."
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 19, 2008
That means you can do it for convenience – not you must do it to use it!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 19, 2008
That wasn’t clear which is why I posted it. I don’t see much info on installation, and his attitude is if you don’t know, you don’t need it.

Which is fine with me. I’ll move on.

Which still brings me back to the original point: One has to re-install it if you put it on the card, or at least do a selective format. The D80 does that but perhaps might ignore that utility during format.
DK
Dian_Kabaivanov
Oct 19, 2008
Hi Guys,

I had the same problem while browsing a bunch of .eps icons. Started searching for a solution – which took me here.

Meanwhile while digging into Preferences found a solution…

So,

Here it is:

CTRL+K -> Advanced:

[v] Use Software Rendering.

Be sure to check this box.

Bridge is having some troubles with hardware acceleration here/the new GPU Powered feature/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections