PB
Posted By
Paul_Budzik
Oct 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Some of you are beta testers or might be in the know, but I’m a bit concerned with the compatibility of CS4 with different video cards. Because of the new way that Photoshop will be working with the GPU, is it going to become video card specific? I’m running a Nvidia Quadro FX3700 in my workstation and I’d hate to find out, after purchasing and installation, that there is a problem. Have there been a specific video cards listed for CS4?

I’m sorry, but in the past, Adobe hasn’t been the most responsive company. (it took them forever to fix Photoshop CS2, and I currently own CS3.3 Web Premium – so I am familiar with their nightmare installations that were never fixed) I’m thinking that the CS4 Design Premium looks pretty slick, but a I’m a bit leery of becoming a paying beta tester again.

Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PS
Paulo_Skylar
Oct 8, 2008
I am not a Beta or someone in the know, but from what I’ve read your GPU has to support Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 for CS4 to reap the acceleration features.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 8, 2008
Thanks Paulo

Well the 3700 uses Shader Model 4.0 and Open GL 2.1. My worry is that we are going to get into another "it’s your video card not our software" issue like CS2.

Paul
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 8, 2008
My worry is that we are going to get into another "it’s your video card not our software" issue like CS2.

it wouldn’t be an upgrade party if we didn’t! 🙂
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 8, 2008
I hear you Dave. I guess I was just hoping.

Paul

:woo_hoo:
M
Mylenium
Oct 8, 2008
Because of the new way that Photoshop will be working with the GPU, is it going to become video card specific?

It isn’t. It just means that some features will be considerably faster with acceleration. The only feature that really hinges on OpenGL is canvas rotation, as it’s merely a secondary buffer transform applied to the (software-rendered) image. 3D and zooming function without hardware as well, they just don’t feel as slick. I haven’t seen a complete list, but can verify that these features work on a Quadro FX 1000, FX 1700, FX 5500 and on a MacBook pro with GeForce 8600.

Mylenium
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 8, 2008
Mylenium,

Thanks for the post. Sounds like the video will be OK

Paul
360texas
Oct 8, 2008
My Dell came with a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT which runs Shader Model 4 and OpenGL 2.1

The other Dave still at <http://360texas.com>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections