Posted By
Derek_Pignatelli
Oct 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I’m trying to transition to a career as a graphic/web artist and before making the transition I was looking to take a photoshop and/or illustrator classes (preferably weekend classes) in the Los Angeles/Santa Monica area. I don’t have photoshop on my computer so ideally I’d be able to find a class that had the program loaded on their computers already.

Any help and/or advice on how to become a graphic/web designer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for taking the time.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JW
John_Waller
Oct 3, 2008
I don’t have photoshop on my computer

If you’re trying to make a career out of it, invest in your own personal copy of Creative Suite CS4 Design Premium and practice, practice, practice.

There’s an entire industry of online workshops (streaming videos, podcasts and PDFs) to train yourself via the web.

Regards

John Waller
DP
Derek_Pignatelli
Oct 4, 2008
Thanks a lot for the advice John. Could you point me maybe to a couple websites that feature some of the best videos, podcasts, pdf tutorials that you’re aware of? I’ve been flying blind here for a little bit and I could use some helpful tips/direction towards what the best and most reliable training sources/centers are.

Thanks for the help!

Derek
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 4, 2008
lynda.com
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 4, 2008
Strongly seconded.

Bob
DP
Derek_Pignatelli
Oct 4, 2008
Wow. Those are great and a few of them are exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much to everyone for all of the help. Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Derek
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 4, 2008
Enroll either at Santa Monica College or at UCLA Extension and take at least one class to quality for the student discount. You can purchase through the student store. You’ll not only get a great start but legally get the lowest legit price on the entire suite of applications.

The previous advice of course applies. Read. Practice. Read. Practice. Repeat. Over and over again. Ask stupid questions and not so stupid questions. Make a pest of yourself to friends in the graphics business if you have them and have plenty of persistance and patience.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 4, 2008
The advice to buy the whole Creative Suite (and there are six different suite combinations!) is good only if you have plenty of spare cash. Otherwise hold off until you have seen what the different applications are for.

There are two things to consider. Firstly do you need all the programs in the suite? Secondly if you are enrolled in classes you may be eligible for Educational Pricing.
JW
John_Waller
Oct 4, 2008
The advice to buy the whole Creative Suite (and there are six different suite combinations!) is good only if you have plenty of spare cash.

If you’re looking for a career as a graphic/web artist, you’re going to need Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and probably Acrobat which makes you an ideal candidate for CS4 Design Premium.

Enrolling at college and qualifying for Educational pricing makes CS4 Design Premium an excellent and cost-effective start to a career.

Regards

John Waller
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
Enroll either at Santa Monica College or at UCLA Extension and take at least one class to quality for the student discount. You can purchase through the student store. You’ll not only get a great start but legally get the lowest legit price on the entire suite of applications.

great advice peter. that’s how i got into the game in the 1st place. don’t know if i would’ve taken the big leap at the time i did (ps6, illy 8, premire 5) as a hobbiest if it weren’t for the edu discount.
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 4, 2008
There were no suites when I started and you had no choice but to buy the individual apps. This is definitely the way to get set up with the majority of apps you will need later. The downside is upgading all at once when you might only want to upgrade one or two of them. At least upgrading the full suite is still less than upgrading all on an individual basis.

And remember that the Educational discount also appy to anyone who is teaching as well. Since we know how well most teachers are paid, this is a very good thing.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
There were no suites when I started and you had no choice but to buy the individual apps.

mine wasn’t a suite (like the cs suites) i believe it was called the "Dynamic Media Collection". all the apps in it were individual full versions (photoshop, premier, illustrator and after effects). i think i paid around 600 bux for it edu when the full photoshop alone was going for about that in the standard version. like you said, if you can start out with an educational version it’s a great savings.

And remember that the Educational discount also appy to anyone who is teaching as well.

and some gov’t employees, iirc.
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2008
A student can buy the whole creative suite for $599 the cost of nonstudent purchase of Photoshop standard. The best way to learn Photoshop is to have it and use it. Click on every button, menu item, and pallet/panel. don’t be afraid to look in every nook and cranny, I’m always surprised by the lazy people who ask the most basic questions all because they have not put the time into looking around the application.

seriously if you are going to spend all that money on the app It seems like you would want to spend some time going over it. Think of it as a video game and you must look at everything to win.

also if you only want it to crop pics and print them or put them up on a simple website Elements just might be a better choice

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections