F
Posted By
Freeagent
Oct 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just thought I’d mention it: Scott Byer’s blog has been revived with an entry appropriately titled "Reboot". Welcome back, Scott, and now that CS4 is out the door, let’s hope he finds time to share some of the technical background of the new Photoshop.

BTW, here’s an interesting quote:

Sorry, this geek likes Vista. I like the faster boot, the more aggressive caching (unused RAM is wasted RAM), the fixed video driver model, and rock-solid stability.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 3, 2008
Welcome back, Scott, and now that CS4 is out the door, let’s hope he finds time to share some of the technical background of the new Photoshop.

i’d say welcome back too. very nice, and very smart guy. too bad he doesn’t join in here anymore. 🙁
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Oct 4, 2008
too bad he doesn’t join in here anymore

Well, his day job kinda gets in the way…Scott is tasked with not only getting CS4 GM and out the door but working on a major project of Cocoa’zing CS5 for 64 bit computing for the Mac…he’s a busy boy….so cut him some slack!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 4, 2008
Sigh….never mind!!
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
he’s a busy boy….so cut him some slack!

i’m not fussin! 😉 i just miss the interaction from all the engineers and adobe people here. i know they’ve gotten some heat from a few forum people so i can’t really blame them for not showing.

what i meant was that it’s our (the forum’s) loss.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Oct 4, 2008
i just miss the interaction from all the engineers and adobe people here.

I suspect the engineers may be a bit more accessible AFTER CS4 ships…
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
that would be way cool, and a return to the way things were in the past. didn’t see much of them after cs3… adam j. is the only one i even clearly recall, and that was mostly in a "send me a sample so we can look into it" role where we (in the forum) never heard back.

back as far as i can remember (been around here since about vers. 6) they’d be no show for ~6 mos. before ship and right on board to help out with the inside tech info right after shipment. that interaction helped us forum regulars to spread the word of problems, fixes and workarounds when they weren’t around directly.

now ‘scuse me while i go pay off my amex so i can put cs4 ee on it… 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 4, 2008
now ‘scuse me while i go pay off my amex so i can put cs4 ee on it… 🙂

Don’t forget that copy of Vista Ultimate 64!

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 4, 2008
Or the rest of the computer!

I estimate that in order to being my system in alignment with the needs of 64 bit computing, I’ll have to spent $1000 or so, just for parts, and that doesn’t even include the video card or any HDs, since I have plenty of both!

I basically agree with Scott about Vista 64 (Ultimate, anyway).I don’t think it’s wise to try and run on XP 64, although it seems stable enough. I have plenty of opportunity to use both versions, 64 and 32 bit, in my validation work. I see it on a variety of platforms as well.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
Don’t forget that copy of Vista Ultimate 64!

msdn premire member. that one’s easy.

Or the rest of the computer!

I can just do with ram. 8 gig is pretty cheap over at zipzoomfly.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 4, 2008
And Newegg!

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 4, 2008
Well, I have to decide more than that. My mobo has a defective PCIE slot, so I am running PCI graphics. If it wasn’t for that, I could drop a 2 or maybe even 4 core AMD in that board and load up the RAM. Still, it’s way to compromised.

So, now that we are at square 1, is it AMD or Intel? Where do I get the best bang for the buck, if we limit the cpu to no more than $200? I have plenty of opportunity to look at Intel offerings (:D!) and there are some impressive things to consider. One thing however is that Vista Ultimate running…well, NDA kicks in here. Damn!

So I need to locate some benchmark testing and go from there.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 4, 2008
Best bang for the buck right now is probably the Q6600.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 4, 2008
Don’t forget some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 5, 2008
Why not replace the MB? They aren’t exactly super-expensive.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 5, 2008
Oh, I will, Michael, but then the slippery slope begins!:D

The whole GPU feature set is not on the radar screen yet.

The Q6600 is the one under the microscope at the moment. I can run some tests between the 65 nm and the 45nm at work, but I never have time to do so. But then, the reviews are out for both, and the Yorkfield gives about a 10% boost over the Kentsfield. If I do go that far, obviously AMD is pretty much left behind.
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 5, 2008
I thought the new dual-core Wolfdales (45nm) were pretty good, apparently beating the Q6600 (I have two of those) quite handily in benchmarks.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 5, 2008
They do, but they are flirting with the $1000 mark. Too much for a 10% gain in CS3. But then, that’s comparing a 3G Kentsfield against a 3G Yorkfield, and the Kentsfield is actually more expensive!

My main concern is getting improvement in scratch performance, so pitting AMD against a comparably priced Intel needs to be considered.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 5, 2008
Bart, I did say best bang for the buck, not the best.

Bob
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 5, 2008
Your’re looking at the Extreme version, the regular version is less than $200 and a steal at that price.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections