Posted By
Martijn_Pleines
Oct 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I’m interested in purchasing Photoshop CS4 soon-but not sure which to get-the download or the boxed version. I will be upgrading from PSE 3.

I assume the download versions will be made available first…but, aren’t the servers likely to get swamped by high demand early on-making it difficult to download for the first week or so? Will the free trials be available at the same time or later?

What happened when CS3 came out? Did downloads go smoothly from the start or was it actually quicker to order the box?

Hoping someone can advise…thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

G
Gener
Oct 2, 2008
I went the download route with Acrobat 9. Download went smooth and I could easily copy the package to my backup drive. Installation went flawlessly,and when later I had to repair my install after removing Acrobat Reader 8,that same install package again did just fine. The bonus is not having to root around for the disc.

I know that’s not Photoshop,but if Acrobat is any indicator,the download version is all I want. I suppose the dvd would have trials of other Adobe products and a tutorial disc,but I just want the main product.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 2, 2008
On Windows, according to the eligibility chart, you can only upgrade to CS4 from PSE 4,5,6 or 7.

can he update to cs3? since cs4’s been announced, an upgrade to cs3 should get him a free copy (shipping costs) of cs4 when released. if so, you have to do it before the release date of cs4 and i believe you need to do it over the phone with the adobe store.
JW
John_Waller
Oct 3, 2008
can he update to cs3?

If he’s quick, why not?

Regards

John Waller
JW
John_Waller
Oct 3, 2008
I’m interested in purchasing Photoshop CS4 soon-but not sure which to get-the download or the boxed version. I will be upgrading from PSE 3.

Hopefully you’re on a Mac?

On Windows, according to the eligibility chart, you can only upgrade to CS4 from PSE 4,5,6 or 7.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/upgrade/

I’ve never had any issues with downloading software from Adobe’s servers around shipping time. YMMV.

The Trials will be available a couple of weeks after CS4 ships.

Regards

John Waller
MP
Martijn_Pleines
Oct 3, 2008
Whoa! Thanks for the heads-up guys, I hadn’t noticed PSE3 had been dropped off the list! I’ll have to go the CS3 route or see if I can pick up a more recent PSE from a bargain bin…
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 3, 2008
Presumably you don’t get the extra DVD of training videos. But I guess they are downloadable. Not the same though.
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2008
I always like the DVD personally although there is nothing wrong with Adobe download software I’ve never had a problem.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 3, 2008
I like watching how the packaging gets cheaper and tattier as the price gets higher and higher.
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 3, 2008
JJ: I’ll respond when I get the CS4 box, but the price dropped $400 over CS3 upgrade, so much for ‘as the price gets higher & higher’, unless that is an aphorism for something else you’re doin’.
C
Curvemeister
Oct 4, 2008
I ordered the download version of CS3, and there was no problem with performance.
CB
Craig_Boudreaux
Oct 4, 2008
Martijn,

See my recent post to this forum entitled "Recent Adobe Support Issue re: Download Only Purchase." I have found there is a risk involved in purchasing only by download. My CS2 order has simply disappeared from the order history in my account, and obtaining the software that I purchased has been, and continues to be, an ordeal.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 4, 2008
I was looking at the downward progression from the robust 10 × 8 box in which my first floppies and manuals arrived in.
MP
Martijn_Pleines
Oct 5, 2008
Thanks again, guys…
If I do decide to get the download, of course I will make sure to create the backup disks.

Another question:

I have not been able to find a cheap PSE 4 or later…now I’m thinking of getting CS3 first next week but I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger yet.

Another idea came to mind…I’ve read that recently registered users of Photoshop Elements have been offered a half-price upgrade to Photoshop by a special email, at least in the U.S.
Does anyone know this is being offered in Europe (Netherlands) as well?
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 5, 2008
JJ: I don’ know if you have to go back that far back, they had pressboard boxes then and now use corrugated, the ones I’m looking at for InDesign look alright.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections