AM
Posted By
Andy_Murray
Oct 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Last year I somehow created a crosshatch pattern in PS 6, which was immediately deemed useless and I threw it away.
Of course, now I need to reproduce it. I was sure I had used an "ice pattern" recipe, found in several places in the web, eg…

<http://www.photoshopnerds.com/creating-an-ice-texture.htm>

but I can’t seem to take from that recipe the steps I need to produce what I want. Perhaps my memory is failing me. I’m using CS2 now and have tried using the BrushStrokes > Crosshatch filter, but it’s not helpful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to creating this crosshatch pattern? Sample (133 kb) can be found at

ftp://ftp.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/ftp/gad/andy/misc/crosshatch.jpg

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

O
OldBob
Oct 2, 2008
How about

Filter > Render > Clouds

Filter > Brush Strokes > Crosshatch

Then play with levels until you get the light/dark balance you need?
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 2, 2008
Noise on a white canvas, about 10. Uniform, monochrome. Then levels, bringing the input shadow slider up to the bottom of the input values in the file. Bring the highlight slider down about 1/3 of the way. This step is critical for hatch "spacing". Then run crosshatch filer. I matched your sample with a medium long stroke and no sharpness. Then levels again to match.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1bFfRfZUMmtVyj0lxi JRuvtK7UcFR00>
AM
Andy_Murray
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks Bob,

I tried that, with lots of variations, but haven’t been able to get from broad brushstrokes to the fine ones I need.
O
OldBob
Oct 2, 2008
I like J Maloney’s version better. I never thought of noise.
AM
Andy_Murray
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks so much, J! I had tried something like this, but what I missed was your "critical step" to control the spacing of the hatching. God only knows how I did this last year, but you’ve saved my bacon today!

(and thanks again to Bob)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections