Posted By
ottom
Sep 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

when I place a SmartObject from an external file PSP CS3 seems to store it in the current file; if I change the external file, the placed object does not change automatically (I have to use the replace function to apply changes in the external file).

Is there any way to use external files as SmartObjects and apply changes in the external files automatically?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

M
Mylenium
Sep 26, 2008
No, not that I know of. Registering such changes would require PS to permanently have an eye on these files, which it doesn’t. it only does so for files opened in Photoshop.

Mylenium
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Sep 28, 2008
No at the moment everything is embedded within the file, even Illustrator Smart objects are embedded as Illustrator files. Even if you dont own Illustrator, and you get such a PSD, you can’t open the smart object. External links are at the moment impossible, and it doesnt look like they are a feature of CS4 either.

I had a freelance job recently where I was working with a team of 4 other retouchers – I desperately needed the feature of external linking preferably with server access. It would have cut hours off the job just by avoiding people having to repeat each others work. pity its not on the cards.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections