ERROR "36" OR "1" …SCRATCH DISC ..IRRECOVERABLE.

R
Posted By
RASMUSS3
Sep 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OPS SYSTEM – WIN XP HOME. LOTS OF DISC SPACE (20GB AND 50GB). EPSON 1270 PRINTER AND DRIVERS – UPDATED. MONACO EZ COLOR 2.5 PROGRAM IS ADOBE 6.1 . WITH MY WIN ME IT ALL WORKED FINE! DID PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY AS WELL.
I HAVE UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED ADOBE, ETC (ALSO IN "SAFE MODE") MANY TIMES. I PUT SCRATCH DISC ON THE OTHER HARD DRIVE.
WHEN I FIRST OPEN THE PROGRAM I CAN PRINT ONE PICTURE AND THEN THE NEXT ONE COMES UP WITH THE DISC ERROR, ETC. USUALLY I MUST REBOOT TO GET OUT OF THINGS (BUT NOT ALWAYS)
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN FIND!!! HELP!!! OTHER PROGRAMS ALL WORK OKAY FOR PRINTING – ITS JUST THE ADOBE 6.1 SO THE PROBLEM MUST BE JUST BETWEEN WIN XP AND ADOBE.
INFORMATION – I ALSO NOTE THAT WHEN THE SYSTEM CRASHES, THE TEMP. FILES DO ACCUMULATE ON THE HARD DRIVE SO THIS NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OUT. I DON’T BELIEVE THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM BUT SOME PEOPLE MAY NOT KNOW THIS.
ANY HELP WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. CHEERS.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 14, 2003
In truth, I’ve read your post 5 times, but typing in all caps makes it too difficult for me to read.

State your exact error message somewhere – the subject line doesn’t help. If it’s only an error 36, do a search in this forum on that phrase, it’s been discussed before.

And next time, please don’t type in all caps, it’s the Net equivalent to shouting.
R
RASMUSS3
Sep 14, 2003
In the interest of brevity (a common usage with research people) I did abbrebiate my subject line and my message. It simply says that the error I am having usually appears with "36" or "1" followed by the scratch disc line. Then I list what I have in hardware and software and that it only occurs with PS6.1 vs my Win XP – Home, not with any other program. I have indeed done the Error 36, etc. search but have found no help or "joy" that solved my problem. Perhaps someone out there has found a solution that works. It is obvious that it is not an uncommon but apparently persistant problem problem for others as well. Cheers.
P
Phosphor
Sep 14, 2003
It means that your hard disk is giving errors.

You need to check your hard disk for problems.
R
RASMUSS3
Sep 16, 2003
Chris: my hard disc did inform me yesterday that a failure of the disc was imminemt. So I ran a hard drive test, etc. it was okay it said! My computer people said it must be a virus – so I ran my "Norton" and there was nothing. So now I am between a rock and a hard place. My computer people say the disc must be okay and what else could it be – no joy there. So I am still looking for an answer. But I will keep an eye on the harddrive (it is a maxtor – 7200 – 2 1/2 years old.) anyone have any other ideas or similar experience? Frustrated Cheers.
P
Phosphor
Sep 16, 2003
Your computer people are lying. If Photoshop and the OS are both saying there are problems — then there are problems.

Your best bet is replacing the disk (and cables while you’re at it).
DJ
dennis johnson
Sep 17, 2003
Before replacing your drive, make sure that all your cable connections are solid. If you are using a SCSI drive, check that the SCSI controller is properly seated.

Your drive may indeed be about to fail, but poor connections can lead to similar symptoms.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 17, 2003
Or.. for 59 bucks get Spinrite

<http://www.grc.com>

It’s written by Steve Gibson, who’s a genius – trust me on this.

If you have a problem with the HD it will detect it, safely move affected data to good sectors and mark bad ones as bad so they won’t be used again. Personally, I’ve used it only about five times in my life, and each time was worth it.

Check it out.
R
RASMUSS3
Oct 1, 2003
I have been working with Microsoft and so on with regard to the problem. So now the problem has become basically only one – the referral to the "Scratch Disk space". I have always simply "in Preferences" put it in the same drive that the PS6 is on since it is around 50 GBs. The other drive is 19.6 GBs and has the rest of my software and the WIN XP on it. I presumed that there was lots of space for the scratch Disk space on this disc.
Microsoft suggests that I create a partition for the scratch disk space. Is there a simple way to do this? Looking in the web I get some seemingly complicated instructions to do this.
The interesting thing about the problem I have is that now I can often work for 1,2,3 hours with no problem and then I get the error 36 or some other no!! So now I am far better than I was but I am never sure when the error will come up. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks and Cheers. Roy
R
RASMUSS3
Oct 1, 2003
I have been working with Microsoft on the problem and things are much better. I can now often work for 1,2,3 hours and then the Error 36 (or some other No.) comes up. They have now suggested that the "scratch file may be not be correctly read or written when Photoshop tries to print the image". "And further suggest I move the scratch file to another partition or change the size of the scracth file to trouble shoot this problem".
When I am printing, the files are often 50 or even 150 Mbs. They are of old paintings done in the 1800’s by my great grandfather. So I have always set the scratch disk in my largest disk (50 GBs) together with my PS6 program and files. There is currently about 40 GBs empty. The other hard disc has 19.6 GBS with the WIN XP and other software programs, and has about 12 GBs empty.
The Win Web site has very complicated instructions to do the partitions, etc. Does anyone have or know of a simple way to do the partitions, or better to make a larger Scratch disc space (that would be the simplest it seems to me).
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks and cheers, Roy.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
Roy,

A partition probably won’t help you. But if you want to create one, and don’t know what you’re doing, buy Partition Magic and you can do it fairly easily.

What you have, IMO, is an I/O error – if a partition fixes it, it’s just covering up a bigger problem. It is either a failing drive (I recommend SpinRite by Gibson Research – <http://www.grc.com>; if there’s a HD problem, SpinRite will find it, guaranteed) or another I/O related issue.

If it were me, I’d rule out the hard drive first. How many hard drives do you have? Are they all EIDE? Do you have a SCSI controller installed? Have you done anything with the cables? If you have more than one HD, disable one of them, set Photoshop to use the existing HD as a scratch. Does the problem go away?

I have run photoshop since version 5.5 and with as little as 3 gigs available – I upgraded and now have much more space, but I’ve never seen what you describe. My scratch files will normally get as large as 8 gig, sometimes more, mostly less.

Most error 36 messages point to I/O or HD failure, not an application configuration.

Take that for whatever it may be worth to you.

Peace,
Tony
R
RASMUSS3
Oct 10, 2003
Oct. 10/03. I had a new Hard Drive installed (37.2 GB). They did agree that the old drive might be defective. So I brought the comp. home. hooked everything up and Voila – I still have the same problem!!! Here is the sequence of the screens that come up.
A) Disc Error – 36 —-Scratch Disc—-Quit> B) Cannot print (the title) because of a program error.> c) Then in closing the picture, it says "Disc Error 1 occurred while reading or writing to a scratch disc. Sorry, etc.>Could not complete the Close Command because of a Program error.> Then the final screen comes up "Runtime Error!
ProgramC:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop6.0\Photoshp.exe
R6025
pure virtual function call"

Needless to say I am puzzled and rather discouraged and frustrated. Does anyone have any more ideas?? There must be an snaswer ouit there! Thanks. Roy.
R
RASMUSS3
Oct 10, 2003
Oct. 10/03. I did install a new Hard Drive (37.2 GB). Then I brought the computer home, hooked it up, and went into photoshop.
I opened a file to print, and have the same problems!! The following is what the follow-on screens told me. A) Disc Error – 36 —Scratch disc –etc. Quit.> B) Cannot print (the picture title) because of a program error.> C) Then in closing the picture, it says –"Disc Error occurred while reading or writing to a scratch disc. Sorry, etc."> D)) " Could not complete the Close command because of a Program error." >
E) "Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Adobe|Photoshop 6.0\Photoshp.exe R6025
-pure virtual function call

OK"
I really don’t have any idea of where to look next! Does anyone have any suggestions. Microsoft don’t have any ideas. Any help would be appreciated so much. Roy.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 10, 2003
RASMUSS – sounds like it may be the disk controller (motherboard or card), or a driver problem.
R
RASMUSS3
Oct 19, 2003
Well, I have solved the problem! I did put in the new hard drive and did everything else that was suggested, or that I could find in Forum and elsewhere. I also had various suggestions from Microsoft as well and they concluded that it had to be in the PS6. Nothing worked. Then I did a Google using only "error 36". There an obscure site had tried something for the same problem. And so had a cure! Someone else had tried it and it worked for them. So, I thought why not me. They had simply gone to the "preferences- Memory and Image Cache file" where they reduced (yes – REDUCE) the "Physical Memory _ Available Ram" down. I did this going down from 80% (an amount recommended in a book for high users like me) to 50%. I am sure that this trick will work for others in the same boat as I was. I have no idea why this should work – it also cleared up my printer problems, and other ones as well. Perhaps someone can tell me why it works. CHEERS, ROY.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections