Posted By
Sergio_Scott
Sep 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI everybody.

I´ve noticed that Photoshop and Illustrator treat images in a very different way.

If I open a document in Photoshop with a resolution of 200 ppi and insert a photo, it usually shrinks (according to the resolution I´m using), BUT it doesn´t happen in Illustrator.
If I open the photo and copy-paste to the document, it remains the original size, but the file size increases a lot. If the .ai document is 600, when I paste a 800 kb photo and save the document it increases up to 17 Mb.

Why does it happen?
What happens with the photos in the document when printed… will they be clear and sharp, or will they be noisy? Which one is better to design large format documents containing photos?

Thanx a lot for your help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

F
Freeagent
Sep 11, 2008
If you copy/paste into Photoshop, only the pixel dimensions matter. Centimeters or inches are ignored. IOW, a 400 x 600 pixel image pasted into an 800 x 1200 pixel canvas will be smaller than the canvas regardless of the "physical" print dimensions it had initially. Those numbers are just thrown away in the paste.

With Illustrator, however, the physical dimensions are honored when it’s pasted, and it will show at that resolution. A low-resolution image (few pixels but large dimensions) will print out of Illustrator as just that, even if it’s been pasted over another (high-resolution) image. With Illustrator, the file itself doesn’t really have a resolution of its own, so to speak.

It’s been a long time since I worried about file sizes, so I can’t answer that.

Which one is better to design large format documents containing photos?

Actually that would be InDesign.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 11, 2008
Actually that would be InDesign.

Got that right!

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections