MV
Posted By
Mathias_Vejerslev
Sep 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
You can do this only with a plenoptic camera. You might have to build one yourself a the time being, though, and you’d have to settle with very low resulution.

<http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcamera/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DN
DS_Nelson
Sep 9, 2008
Shame on me for thinking that what I could do in a dark room with film was possible with new technology and the latest software. I miss 35mm.

So you mean that "focusing ring" on my 35mm lenses was all a big fraud?
JW
John_Waller
Sep 9, 2008
So you mean that "focusing ring" on my 35mm lenses was all a big fraud?

No, just an optional extra 🙂

Regards

John Waller
B
Buko
Sep 9, 2008
Shame on me for thinking that what I could do in a dark room with film was possible with new technology and the latest software. I miss 35mm.

I would also like to know how you focus an out of focus shot in the darkroom. This was one trick I never could master and always had to reshoot in focus.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 9, 2008
I think he slunk away with a red face.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 10, 2008
It’s not possible to "post-focus" an out-of-focus shot. Plain and simple. It’s gone forever.

As the link in Curvemeister, "Change focus" #15, 8 Sep 2008 7:41 pm </webx?14> .
F
Freeagent
Sep 10, 2008
it is indeed possible

This is turning into a semantics exercise. It really boils down to how much out of focus. If it’s just a tiny weeny little bit, then it’s possible. If it’s big-time out-of-focus, as in

the camera’s automatic focus failed to lock onto the player. Rather, it locked onto the background

then it’s not possible. Can we agree on that?
CB
charles badland
Sep 10, 2008
the camera’s automatic focus failed to lock onto the player. Rather, it locked onto the background

Well… I’d just run a blur filter on background. Then the player will look much sharper. It’s all relative. 😉

(Seriously, I did this once for a client. The main subject was no too badly out of focus, but the background was very sharp. A little Unsharp Masking on the subject, a little Gaussian Blurring on the background… not the best results, but she was happy with the fix.)
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 10, 2008
I’m not sure, but I think that Unsharp Mask had its roots in the darkroom, as did many of the original PS tools. Of course, real sharpening did not appear until Photoshop CSI was released in Hollywood.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Sep 10, 2008
Unsharp masking DID start in the darkroom.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 10, 2008
A little Unsharp Masking on the subject, a little Gaussian Blurring on the background…

Nobody reads post #1 🙁
CB
charles badland
Sep 10, 2008
I did not catch that.
GREAT advice. :0)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections