Posted By
Vickie_Nicholls
Sep 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP.
I’m fairly new to this and I’m trying to figure out how to resize and crop a high res photo without it going a bit blurry … The image is 18cm x 22cm and is 300 dpi. I need to resize the width to 16cm and them crop 5cm off the bottom so that it fits nicely in the space where it’s to go. I seem to lose clarity when I do this and I’d like to keep it crisp of course. I know there must be an easy way of doing it, but I just can’t figure out how?? Can anyone help please?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2008
What do you have set for Resampling in Image Size? I believe Bicubic Sharper is considered best for downsizing (someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

Make sure there is no resolution set in the Options Bar when you use the Crop tool.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 9, 2008
believe Bicubic Sharper is considered best for downsizing (someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

cs3 now TELLS you in the image resize box (image> image size) which one is "best for enlarging", "best for shrinking" etc. so no need to remember anymore! 🙂 (just noticed that the other day when i was scratching my head thinking which one to use! ;))

Make sure there is no resolution set in the Options Bar when you use the Crop tool.

yup. when in doubt, hit the "clear" button in the option bar before you begin.
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2008
I only have CS… so Photoshop can’t do that reminding for me.

What’s next? A little animated paperclip that guides you around the program? Oh wait; it’s been done.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 10, 2008
ya, but the poster has cs3. that’s why i mentioned it. the system i posted that from this morning only has gimp on it! 🙂

(this one – my laptop – has my old copy of ps7 on it, because i’m still "learning" to use cs3). :^)
L
LinusF
Sep 10, 2008
I just wrapped up and archived my PS3 & PS5 disks — and still run into questions off my normal tracks. Thanks for the help. I’ll let you know how it goes — those files are very different.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections