Posted By
craigcosmo
Sep 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I want to know how to save the image that I created separately from the background so I can use the image as an icon or something else. I am new in web design, when I tried so hard to make something in photoshop I ended up the bloody back ground is 10 times bigger than my work (image) and it distorts the web layout.

Bottom line, I need to know how to save something as an icon or maybe object without the dam white background.

Craig

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Sep 4, 2008
First do a "Save as…" under a different name so you keep the original.

Use the Crop Tool to remove as much background as possible.

With the Magic Wand Tool, select the white background.

Invert the selection (Ctrl+Shift+I).

Press Ctrl+J, this will put the design on a new layer with a transparent background. Delete the old background layer.

To put this on a web page , use "Save for Web" and save as PNG or GIF. (JPG will make the background white again.)
C
craigcosmo
Sep 4, 2008
after selecting the magic wand, I selected the white background. When pressed CTRL+SHIFT+I it said "no pixel were selected" and i think i am stuck right there.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 4, 2008
Either the Magic wand tolerance needs increasing or the background isn’t uniform. Post the cropped version on Pixentral.com and paste the HTML here.
C
craigcosmo
Sep 5, 2008
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=11dSoqXtoYz8noH9N3 wcEqawLKHfs1>

couldnt post psd file. The site doesnt seem working properly.

Now you can simulate my steps by create a new layer/background by clicking new and chose default photoshop size then pick up custom shape tool, chose a shape to draw with, envelop is the case. Keep along with your instruction.

Tell me do you have any problem saving it as the way we want ?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections