Learning Photoshop (what about Videos DVDs?)

J
Posted By
jacobpressures
Sep 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m interested in learning Photoshop or maybe some other graphic editing program. But I don’t want to invest the money because i hear that PS is hard to learn. Can i teach myself or is it better to learn in the classroom?

I really don’t have a ton of time to dedicate to it. I’m a novice programmer and i spend a lot of my time reading programming books. PS would just be another chore on my to-do list. I don’t want to have to wait a year or more just to see results. There are so many tools. But PS would really help with website development.

I saw this DVD. Photoshop CS3 One-on-One (Video Training) for $150. I’m hoping it will help. I get tired of reading all the time so I’m trying to find some alternative ways to learn all the stuff i need to learn.

I’m wondering how effective they are. Is it really worth it. On amazon it got good reviews though.

Any ideas? Thanks guys

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Sep 1, 2008
www.lynda.com/idsecrets.

That should give you a one week trial. But my gut tells me that you’re not going put enough into learning this. I’ve been using Photoshop for 14 years and on a basis of percentage of features, I know less now than I did then.

Good luck, though.

Bob
G
gowanoh
Sep 1, 2008
Watching someone demonstrate how to use color management, layers and masks makes it much easier to pick up the basic concepts.
However if you are not pursuing photography or graphic arts why would you want to bother with Photoshop?
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 1, 2008
Try Lynda.com.
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2008
I refer you to the following thread where we discussed the beginner’s dilemma:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b503f7>
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2008
Oh, and I suggest ignoring the "How to Cheat at Photoshop" site and forum mentioned in that thread. It’s not very active, and I’ve seen a lot of bad and incomplete advice floating around there.

There are MUCH better independently-created Photoshop-centric websites and beginners forums.
J
jacobpressures
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks Phos±four dots.
I’m not trying to master this program but i would like to become good enough to do what i need to do.

How long do you think it would take to do something like the banner seen here? <http://www.wingfling.org/testing/index.htm>

The building in the background was a duller color from a photo i took. But i’m sure you can tell that the images of the people were added to the banner.

I’ve neglected trying to learn PS because i fear that i could spend monthzz learning how to use this app and never get anywhere.

I know this is about PS, but should i try another graphic software package. Might that be easier and get similar results. Sure, i won’t have all the tools but maybe i’m tackling a monster when all i need is an ant.

Again thanks.
AT
Anne_Takeshi
Sep 2, 2008
I’m looking at the exact same DVD set that you are for learning the latest version of Photoshop. It does have pretty good reviews but the price seems a bit much for me. I’ll probably try a book first. I know I’m going to need help with the newest version as I’ve been using version 5.5 for years. Now that I have a new computer, I know it’s time to upgrade, finally.
When I first started using it, I just taught myself PS without the use of videos or tutorials or books or anything. I know there are a lot of features and options and changes since my version, so I’m wondering if I should get the video set just to start off right. For a complete newbie though, try all the online tutorials first, you can learn plenty from them. The consider a book or video if you feel confident that you want to jump into it more. Hope that helps.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 2, 2008
Existing users of Photoshop can find plenty of free videos online to learn the latest version.

<http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/>

New and experienced users can also use iTunes or your favorite podcast client to search for many hours of free video podcasts about Photoshop.
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 2, 2008

1) type Photoshop tutorial on Youtube and get a lot of free video tutorials, ranging from excellent to crap.

2) Buy Adobe’s Photoshop Classroom in a Book, which will teach you the basics.

3) Forget about mastering Photoshop in one year. I have been using it for 20 years, and still haven’t mastered it. But if you are smart enough to do programming, you should be able to gain competence in a few months (but, like me, you will still be pissed off that you can’t do the cool stuff that the more artistic folk can).
BH
BILL_HUNT
Sep 3, 2008
Back in the "good old days," I picked up PS 2.5 and just started reading the manual and playing with it. I only had about 1 year with PhotoStyler 1.x (Aldus), but did have about 25 years of analog photo experience. I found PS to be an easy program. Other than some changes in terminology, it was not unlike an analog darkroom. This was long before the "Classroom In A Book" series was even conceived.

I’d urge you to pick up the program, and do read that manual. In the days gone by, it WAS a better tome, but it’s still a wealth of info. Still, it has much of what you need. Next, pick up the "CiaB" for your version. Work through the exercises.

When you are ready to branch out, there are many great books on specific aspects of PS, like digiatal photography into PS, or retouching.

The Lynda.com and Total Training DVD’s seem to be good, but I’d rather read and do, than watch and do. It depends on how one learns best.

I’d also recommend reading this forum for some great tips and tricks. Learn the Search aspect and use it often. Most of what PS can do has already been discussed here. You’ll just need to learn the terms for your search.

I also recommend a membership to NAAP and their magazine, "Photoshop User." Lot of great info. There is hardly an issue that I do not learn something new, and I’ve been using PS since it first hit the PC. Same for this forum – try to learn something new each day.

Good luck,

Hunt
J
jacobpressures
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks guys. I don’t mind reading. I prefer reading but there is only so much reading you can do. I’m in the middle of several books already and I’m getting burned out. The idea of just sitting down for a product or two, watch a video, practice as i watch, is a little more appealing. But maybe we are just not there yet with the visual stuff.

I love learning stuff, but i just can’t sit in front of a book every day and all day.

Thanks!
CO
Celeste_Orrantia
Sep 3, 2008
You could also check out the video tutorials on tv.adobe.com and also here: <http://www.layersmagazine.com/category/photoshop/>

I’ve also been using Photoshop for years and I’m still learning more all the time with the above tutorials.
JG
Jeff_Gillispie
Sep 3, 2008
You might try <http://good-tutorials.com>

You can find tuts from beginner to advanced there and links for other sites. Good luck!
T
tdlwebs
Sep 5, 2008
There are plenty of PS tutorials found simply by ‘googling’. However, there is still a pretty steep learning curve and no genuine short cuts for avoiding the time and effort needed IMO.
J
jacobpressures
Sep 5, 2008
That steep learning curve is what I’m afraid of. I have tons of other learning curves to conquer. I’m afraid to invest must time or money into this if I’m not going to get much in return.

I would have thought that taking images and putting them on another image would be fairly easy but evidently not.

I would like to do something like the banner seen here.

www.wingfling.org/testing/hiv-aids.htm
CC
Charmaine Chen
Sep 6, 2008
Learning photoshop is pretty easy:) – For a start, try referring to online tutorials

I use Adobe Photoshop (a highly user-friendly tool;-) compare to other stuff ) for all photo-editing work

Advantages:
Photoshop can utilize the color models RGB, lab, CMYK, grayscale, binary bitmap, and duotone. Photoshop also has the ability to read and write raster and vector image formats such
as: .EPS, .PNG, .GIF, .JPEG, Fireworks, etc.

I can still remember being intimidated by Photoshop’s extensive features when I first started using it. But actually, learning Photoshop (and being good at it) is very easy!;-) Yet, many find it easy to give up because like it or not, photo-editing is very tedious. You need tonnes of patience.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections