BW
Posted By
Brian_Wheeler
Aug 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any way to stop Photoshop from adding the ‘copy’ suffix to files when you save them as additional formats? I’m working accross multiple Photoshop versions on multiple computers and would like to standardize the save functions.

Thanks in advance.
-Brian

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
mistermonday
Aug 30, 2008
Brian, when the Save As dialog window opens, there is a box called "As A Copy". Is that box unchecked?
Rgds, MM
DR
Danny_Raphael
Aug 30, 2008
If the file to be saved has > 1 layers, try flattening it before saving to the alt. format. That works in almost all situations.

The appended ‘copy’ also occurs if the subject file contains one or more alpha channels. AFAIK a scripting solution is needed here unless _all_ images have the same alpha channels.
P
Phosphor
Aug 30, 2008
There is a script called deleteChannels that removes Alpha Channels. I think it is on the Adobe Exchange, but if you can’t find it, e-mail me and I’ll send it to you (I’m not hard to find).
BW
Brian_Wheeler
Sep 2, 2008
No, and I can’t uncheck it as it greys out as soon as I switch to the .tga format.
M
Mylenium
Sep 3, 2008
No, not to my knowledge. The behavior is "as designed" I would guess you could suppress the naming using a script. Would be something simple like killing the last five characters using .substr(-5) somewhere in the script based on the original name, but since I’m more of an After Effects guy, I never really have looked into scripting in PS and have no clue about the wrapper code required. Should not exceed more than 40 lines of code, though, and someone versed in the language and Photoshop might throw this together in 5 minutes…

Mylenium
BW
Brian_Wheeler
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for all the great info and op/eds. As far as I can tell from ya’ll and the Adobe support folks, this particular feature is hard written into the program code and I simply don’t feel like venturing into their codes to repair what, to me, is a minor irritant.

Thanks all!

Brian

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections