Lightroom or Bridge

Posted By
Aug 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am relatively new to Photoshop and Lightroom. I purchased Photoshop CS3 Extended this summer, which included the new version of Bridge. I have also tried the trial version of Lightroom 2.

Is there any reason to purchase Lightroom when I already have Bridge? What would be the advantage of Lightroom?

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

A
aglet
Aug 28, 2008
<Premo> wrote in message
I am relatively new to Photoshop and Lightroom. I purchased Photoshop CS3 Extended this summer, which included the new version of Bridge. I have also tried the trial version of Lightroom 2.

Is there any reason to purchase Lightroom when I already have Bridge? What would be the advantage of Lightroom?

Thanks!

Well, the simple answer is that Bridge is a file manager, whereas Lightroom is a database that allows you to make non-destructive adjustments to your photos. I’ve never used Bridge much because I think it is a clumsy, useless program. I use Lightroom all the time and more often than not don’t have to bring my photos into Photoshop at all. I can make any general exposure, contrast, etc., adjustments to the RAW files in Lightroom. I only go to Photoshop when I need to mask certain areas or do more artistic work.

I’m not saying you need Lightroom — that depends on your workflow — but the two applications are really nothing like each other.
A
andyj1011
Sep 2, 2008
On Aug 27, 9:10 pm, Premo wrote:
I am relatively new to Photoshop andLightroom.  I purchased Photoshop CS3 Extended this summer, which included the new version of Bridge.  I have also tried the trial version ofLightroom2.

Is there any reason to purchaseLightroomwhen I already have Bridge? What would be the advantage ofLightroom?

Thanks!

If you are new to photoshop, I’d say you have a long way to go before you have to decide between these programs. To answer your question, there is absolutely no reason to purchase Lightroom. Learn Bridge first. Then you can download and use the trial version of lightroom (whatever version they are on when you download it). You will be able to see the differences and determine whether they are important to you.

As the previous poster said, it depends on your workflow which you probably don’t know yet if you are new to these programs. However, that is about all the previous poster said that has any value.

Bridge is an excellent program, and a professional program. Lightroom is, generally, more powerful. I almost bought it myself until I realized that the things Bridge doesn’t do don’t matter to me. Unlike the previous poster suggestion that Bridge is "useless", you can make a lot of adjustments in Bridge (like all the ones he mentioned, for example, plus many more).

I would suggest you take a look at postings such as you find on the Digital Wedding Forum. Wedding photoraphers are often managing thousands of photos from a shoot, and the more you can do without opening photoshop, the better. Many of them are delighted with Bridge and many are sold on Lightroom. But rather than rhetorical conclusory opinions, they will be able to tell you, from a relevant workflow perspective, what the differences are. Both are powerful programs and both have their niches. Since Bridge is free, learn it.
A
aglet
Sep 2, 2008
"andyj1011" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 9:10 pm, Premo wrote:
I am relatively new to Photoshop andLightroom. I purchased Photoshop CS3 Extended this summer, which included the new version of Bridge. I have also tried the trial version ofLightroom2.

Is there any reason to purchaseLightroomwhen I already have Bridge? What would be the advantage ofLightroom?

Thanks!

If you are new to photoshop, I’d say you have a long way to go before you have to decide between these programs. To answer your question, there is absolutely no reason to purchase Lightroom. Learn Bridge first. Then you can download and use the trial version of lightroom (whatever version they are on when you download it). You will be able to see the differences and determine whether they are important to you.

As the previous poster said, it depends on your workflow which you probably don’t know yet if you are new to these programs. However, that is about all the previous poster said that has any value.

Bridge is an excellent program, and a professional program. Lightroom is, generally, more powerful. I almost bought it myself until I realized that the things Bridge doesn’t do don’t matter to me. Unlike the previous poster suggestion that Bridge is "useless", you can make a lot of adjustments in Bridge (like all the ones he mentioned, for example, plus many more).

I would suggest you take a look at postings such as you find on the Digital Wedding Forum. Wedding photoraphers are often managing thousands of photos from a shoot, and the more you can do without opening photoshop, the better. Many of them are delighted with Bridge and many are sold on Lightroom. But rather than rhetorical conclusory opinions, they will be able to tell you, from a relevant workflow perspective, what the differences are. Both are powerful programs and both have their niches. Since Bridge is free, learn it.

Rebuttal … I did not say Bridge was useless. I said I think it is useless. That is a factual statement of my opinion. If you like it, fine. If you find it useful, fine. By all means use it. But do not confuse the two applications. They neither accomplish the same things, nor are they intended to. One is not a replacement for the other. And do not confuse the initial poster by suggesting that Bridge even comes close to the editing capability of Lightroom. It does not. Also, I have to loudly disagree with the previous poster’s statement that "there is absolutely no reason to purchase Lightroom." That is a ridiculous statement. There are many reasons to purchase Lightroom, just as there are many reasons to purchase Photoshop, or to use Bridge. You make some valid points – unfortunately, your entire post loses credibility when you say something like that. I completely agree with the statement that "the more you can do without opening Photoshop, the better." Which is why I use Lightroom. If you prefer Bridge, then I’m glad the application is available to you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections