MS
Posted By
Mark_Sternal
Aug 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have CS2 and the arrow keys recently stopped working. I’m wondering if I changed some setting to cause this. Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
where’d you buy it?
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 27, 2008
Before you answer that, if you got an eBay (or other online) "bargain", please don’t post the link.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
including amazon "resellers" (as opposed to amazon.com itself).
MS
Mark_Sternal
Aug 27, 2008
While trying the trial version I purchased this from an authorized/licensed Adobe seller. Brand new, in box, with manual and tutorial, etc… The keys were working. I just got done creating a very large file and since then my arrow keys are not working.
MS
Mark_Sternal
Aug 27, 2008
Just wondering if I could have changed a default setting and if there is a quick fix.
CB
charles badland
Aug 27, 2008
What are you trying to do with the arrow keys?
If you are try to move something, be sure the Move Tool is selected and you are working on a selection or layer?
Do the arrow keys work to change numbers in input boxes? Or font choices? They are totally non-functional?
MS
Mark_Sternal
Aug 28, 2008
I’m trying to move a layer with the arrow keys. I’ve been doing it for years. I’m not sure what changed, but if I select a layer now, I can only move it with the mouse. The arrow keys are not working.

I can use them to change fonts.
CB
charles badland
Aug 28, 2008
Try trashing your prefs as per the FAQs
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 28, 2008
Just wondering if I could have changed a default setting and if there is a quick fix.

If you did, resetting the preferences can be a help. There is an FAQ on it near the top of the list.
MS
Mark_Sternal
Aug 29, 2008
I deleted Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs PSP File, but still no luck getting my arrow keys to function again. I still have an older version of Photoshop Elements on the same computer. Just to confirm I opened a file in Elements and the arrow keys work in this program.
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 29, 2008
That appears to be the correct prefs file. I’m stumped on this one.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Aug 31, 2008
Mark,

Do you have a keyboard that requires a driver? I’ve seen a few problems with these and Photoshop.

If so, can you try a generic USB keyboard, just as a test?

Also, as has been mentioned, do make sure that the Move Tool has been selected, before using the cursor keys. Really easy to leave the wrong Tool active and wonder why things do not work. Happens to me all of the time, if I am working quickly and doing a lot of simple things – I forget the most simple!

Good luck,

Hunt
MS
Mie_Shipe
Sep 22, 2008
I am having the exact same problem — I uninstalled Photoshop (CS2), and upon reinstalling it, the arrow keys no longer move with the move tool, nor do they nudge selections, etc. The arrow keys don’t work at all within the program, in short. Additionally, none of the other keys above it work, either (delete, home, end, page up/down, etc.).

I’ve been using Photoshop since 5.5, and these keys have always worked until this last reinstall. I’ve tried dumping the preferences file, despite it being a new installation, and still nothing. I’ve read something on some other forums from a user who described a problem that sounded similar to mine, and he said he fixed it by readjusting the "key increment" setting which had somehow gotten turned down to 0. Unfortunately, this poster was using CS, and not CS2, so his description of the option location ("first option in general preferences") didn’t line up with CS2, and even after going through all the options, and the Help, I couldn’t even find the term "key increment."

This is driving me crazy! I’ve tried completely uninstalling, and completely reinstalling, and nothing is working. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 22, 2008
You’d better read this:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c062174/87>
F
Freeagent
Sep 22, 2008
Just to expand on John’s post: various keys not working or not working as expected is a common symptom of illegal software being sold on ebay and elsewhere.

But if it used to work and now doesn’t, it could be that resetting your preferences is all it takes. See FAQ. A reinstall does not do this.
DJ
Diane_Jettinghoff
Oct 6, 2008
So what do I do now that I have discovered why my keys don’t work?? Buy a another copy of CS2?

Several of my keys don’t work, but usually I can find subsitutes, except for the Delete key. Is there another method through menus and such to do the function "Delete"?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2008
Buy a another copy of CS2?

a legal copy, yea, that’d probably be for the best. and you’d be buying cs3, as that’s what’s out now. but if you buy now, you’ll get cs4 for free from adobe because they’ve announced it.
JT
John_T_Smith
Oct 6, 2008
Did you go to the FAQ as suggested and reset preferences?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections