R
Posted By
RASMUSS3
Aug 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Win Pro with 3 RAM, lots of storage on 3 discs plus an external drive. Recently my ‘Bridge" began to act strange. It wouldn’t open up from the photoshop. Then the top half of the screen wouldn’t show and everything behaved very stubbornly. So today I tried to reload the CS3, etc. I successfully loaded only one component but not the Adobe CS3, or the ‘Shared Components’. I was informed that the original installation had moved for each of the components – the second one saying something about ‘bridge start meeting. Etc. I have no idea how this came about, To correct it I am wondering if I simply removed the entire CS3 Systems,Namely delete them. Then I would install them again??? If this makes sense will i likely be able to retain the folders in the CS3. By the way the CS3 is still working apparently okay. Any help would be appreciated. Roy.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
Mylenium
Aug 26, 2008
No, no and no. If the install is damaged, simply re-installing over it won’t fix it. It needs to cleanly be uninstalled first and in addition, CS3 clean scripts should be run to remove any leftovers. It is also recommended to deactivate first or the activation might get "lost". The "install has moved" message would seem to indicate that either

a) a recent system update has locked or damaged your system’s update database

b) your system exposes hardware issues due to e.g. the disks being faulty, running in legacy compatibility mode or being incorrectly anchored in the system due to wrong SATA or RAID drivers

c) The disks are simply too full to create temporary data

Whichever may apply, you definitely should check your system. Clean out any garbage on your disks, run a chkdisk, defragment. Study your update history and remove any suspicious updates you had in the last week or so. Check your device manager for devices flagged with warning signs or question marks. Try to re-initialize them or update their drivers, then move on to your re-install.

Mylenium
BH
BILL_HUNT
Aug 29, 2008
RASMUSS3,

You didn’t,by chance, install Adobe Primiere Elements ver 4, did you? It kills Bridge, or makes it behave badly. Fixes are available on the Premiere Elements forum in their FAQs. I also had to do a Repair Install of PS and AI, plus Premiere Pro too.

If you did not install this program, never mind.

Hunt
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 29, 2008
Also before going through all the hassle that Mylenium recommends (which may be total overkill anyway) try resetting Bridge preferences by holding down Ctrl while you start it and OKing the three items that come up.

Also sometimes Bridge does not exit cleanly and all running instances need to be closed from the Task Manager under Processes.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections