A
Posted By
andyforrester
Aug 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have checked the forums but cannot see this problem although there are similar problems. Unfortunatly none seem to resolve my problem. My problem is that i had to re-instate windows xp plus all my software and since doing this some of my files on my external HD will not open i try and i get the error message "could not complete the request because the file is locked. use the properties command in windows explorer to unlock the file" i dont know how to get the files viewable again photoshop opens ok it just doesnt open the pictures
any help please would be great. I have tried to re-capture the files and give myself full permision but i still cant get to view them some will view as thumbnails but get the same message when i try to open them.
these files are really inportant so any help pleas
thanks
Andy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2008
Have you tried right-clicking on them and choosing Properties from the context menu?

Have you tried dragging them to your primary hard drive?
A
andyforrester
Aug 24, 2008
yes i have tried dragging them to my primary hd and it says access denied check that the disk is not write protected. have also checked the properties but notexactly sure what i am looking for there.
andy
BH
BILL_HUNT
Aug 30, 2008
Andy,

There is a little freeware app. Unlocker, that *should* get you going. I would, however, look into why Windows sees your external HDD’s files as locked. It is most likely a Permissions issue and you can start looking for the answer in your User accounts. It would be most likely when you did the reinstall of Windows, that something went off. Plan on spending a bit of time looking at various Properties panels.

Last, look at whether you have windows Indexing turned on. It can "lock" a file, or deny access, while it’s doing its thing. In Windows Explorer, check Properties for your external and all of its folders. If Indexing is turned on, try turning it off and click on "All Folders and Sub-folder," or some such syntax. This might take a moment to Apply. It can speed a search up a bit, but for large files, that change often, can really slow everything else down. I’d be OK with it, if it only ran on startup, and not when any file has been changed, but it wants to index with every change.

Good luck,

Hunt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections