Is it me, or has this site gone bad again?

P
Posted By
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m not seeing the colored boxes or anything other than type???

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Silkrooster
Aug 24, 2008
Try clearing your browser’s cache and reload the page.
P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2008
Seems not to have worked.

Definitely my machine then.
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 25, 2008
If the type is in Serif, then you might have CSS turned off. It is in sans serif, and the right sizes, then CSS is working. Are you CRT? Perhaps one of the guns has gone?
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
"If the type is in Serif, then you might have CSS turned off. It is in sans serif, and the right sizes, then CSS is working."

Hmm…not so fast there, buckeroo.

I use Firefox with AdBlockPlus, and I’ve blocked this forum’s CSS. The reason I do that is because I prefer Trebuchet, and there’s no choice for that in our forum prefs/control panel.

And to complicate matters, there’s the choice of using a couple serif fonts there, so that’s not a good indicator of what’s going on with Ed’s wonky forum behavior.

And as for the colored boxes not appearing, and being caused by a bad gun or video driver..wouldn’t that manifest itself in ALL uses of the monitor, and not just on the forum? Surely Ed, would notice if his monitor was bad all the way around.

My guess would have to side with some file being blocked, or some browser preferences being hosed.
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
Flat panel. If something is blocked (my first thought) I can’t find it. In fact it was happening before I installed AdBlock on this machine. Does it with both FF and IE, so it’s not the browser.

I’ve changed computers, but using the same monitor as the old one. All settings are the same as far as I can tell

WinXP SP3 (but did it with SP2 as well.
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
"I’ve changed computers…"

And you’re saying that the forums are messed up on a completely different system?

Are they all grabbing the Web through the same router? I wonder if there’s some sort of host blockage thing going on?

(That’s as far as I can take it. I’m crazy deficient when it comes to susing out networking stuff)
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
Got it sussed. Monitor calibration!

Doh!
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
Wha-wha-WHAT!?

I must have been imagining something entirely different then from your description, then, because for what I was thinking, the monitor or bad color/profiling/calibration would have played no part in it.

Twice, maybe, in the past half-dozen years I’ve seen the forums load up with NOTHING but text. No tables, no images, no placeholders, no table layouts, NOTHING but text, and all the formatting was bunched up together originating from the top left corner.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed. I’m sure it was maddening.
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2008
The boxes and such were all there but washed out so much as to be invisible.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections