Please help… "Could not initialize Photoshop becauae the scratch disks are full.

BR
Posted By
BJ_Ropach
Aug 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop 7 on Windows Vista. I just bought a new computer and installed Photoshop (which worked fine on my old computer running XP). It installs correctly but wen I launch it I get the error "Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full." Then Photoshop immedietly shuts down.

My C drive has 1.3 TB free, my D drive has 145 GB free and my E drive has 5 GB free. I’ve tried defragmenting all the drives and deleting any temp files.

I do not know why this is happening and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
Brad

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 23, 2008
there’s a bug in 7 that causes this on drives with more than 1 TB free. upgrade photoshop to fix it or temporarily fill the drive with garbage or partition it so the free space is less than 1TB.

a side note is that current upgrade policy only gives special pricing to 3 versions back. right now that’s version 7. if you wait until cs4 comes out you’ll be 4 versions back and will be out of the upgrade path. then if you want a higher version in the future you’ll have to purchase a full license again. if planning on upgrading photoshop – ever – suggest you do it before cs4 ships.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections