M
Posted By
mikedivita
Aug 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve always opened files using File>open. I use the list view so that all filenames appear in alpha/numeric order regardless of the file extension(.psd, .jpg, ect). Sometime within the past week this has stopped working. The list now is ordered by the extension type – all .nef, all .psd, all .jpg, ect. Does anyone know how to get the original alpha/numeric order back? I can do it temporarily by choosing details, click on the filename column and then choosing list but this only works once. The next time I use File>open, it’s back to ordered by extension type.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
Mylenium
Aug 18, 2008
Change your general view settings in Windows Explorer. At some point you must have used "By file type" and saved that as the default setting for all Explorer windows. Since file dialogs are merely a different type of Explorer window, they inherit these defaults, too.

Mylenium
M
msmack
Aug 20, 2008
Mike:

Have you figured this out. I have the same problem but I don’t see how to change it.

Merrill
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 20, 2008
You are using the OS dialog presumably?
M
msmack
Aug 20, 2008
John:

Thanks, now I figured it out.

Merrill
M
mikedivita
Aug 22, 2008
My initial reply was going to be that I don’t see how to change the Windows Explorer settings for file listing order. It was odd since Windows Explorer did sort things by name which is how I wanted CS3 to do it. I am using the OS dialog view in CS3.

I did a web search and came up with the answer. Open Windows Explorer. If it’s not the view you want, right click, Arrange Icons By, and pick the way you want them listed. Hold the CNTRL key while closing Windows Explorer using the red X button. This saves the view setting.

CS3 now lists in the order I want them to list.

Mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections