CS3 Web Premium Suite compatible with Vista 64 bit?

MF
Posted By
Michael_Feeley
Aug 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greeting folks. I realize this is not a Photoshop specific question, but does anyone use CS3 Web Premium Suite on Vista 64? If so, do you have any problems with any of the programs?

I’m contemplating upgrading from Vista 32 to Vista 64.

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Aug 15, 2008
I’m using the Master Collection on Vista 64. Highly recommended.

Photoshop CS4 will be available as native 64 bit for Vista 64 only.

Bob
MF
Michael_Feeley
Aug 15, 2008
Thanks for the info Robert. Looks like there is nothing keeping me from making the switch now.
DK
Dwight_K
Aug 17, 2008
Any Idea When Photoshop CS4 will actually be available?
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 17, 2008
It appears that Adobe works to an 18 month update cycle. CS3 came out in April 2007.
NB
Nicholas_Birkett
Aug 21, 2008
I just got the Adobe Master Collection CS3 to run on a Dell Workstation (quad core processor, 2GB RAM) with Vista 64 Business. Photoshop is deathly slow, to the point of being unusable. It takes up to 2 minutes just to load the programme. Clicking menu items or drop-down buttons produces no response for about 5 secs. I created a blank layer and tried to draw a simply brush stroke across it – again, a 5 sec delay before the stroke appeared. This makes it impossible to do any useful work. Other parts of the package are better (e.g. Dreamweaver, Illustrator) but Bridge is slow and I have a subjective impression that some of my none Adobe programme are now running more slowly. I did look at CPU and memory utilization – never got about 60% and was mostly around 10%.

When I run the Photoshop CS3 trial on an AMD duo core computer with only 1GB RAM (which is running XP Pro), I get a much snappier response. Makes me suspect a Vista issue.

Since others appear to be having much better success, I would be very interested in any tips, etc. which I might try.

Thanks.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 21, 2008
2 gigs of RAM is enough to run the O/S…Add six more.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 21, 2008
Eight Gigs is lovely but I only have four so far and it’s lightning fast.
CF
chris_farrell
Aug 21, 2008
Nicholas – How many hard drives have you got in your system?

If you are using one drive for system/ files/ PS scratch then it will be slow as the hard drive has to access multiple locations ( page file/ file you’re loading/ Scratch disk) simultaneously ( which it cannot do efficiently ) – this will cause a lag.

Best solution is separate disks for each. Intel are going to release fast 80gb SSD drives very soon and they look very fast ( on paper anyway )- ideal for a dedicated scratchy –

< http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/news/2008/08/20/Intel- Solid-State-Disks-Break-Cover/p1>
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 21, 2008
And make sure you have you a local printer set as your default.

Bob
NB
Nicholas_Birkett
Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I have one internal HHD only, with an NAS drive and a firewire drive for additional storage. I have no local printer: all of my printers are either virtual printers (like PDF) or connected via a network. The network printers are configured using local tcp/ip ports.

Just to clarify, I am not looking (at this time) to maximize my performance. I can understand that for extensive work, having separate drives, wads of RAM, etc. would be necessary. But, surely I don’t need all of these hardware upgrades just to get a menu item to respond to a mouse click in under 5 seconds? Especially when other Adobe software (e.g. Illustrator) has near instant response.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 22, 2008
Set Adobe PDF as the default printer.

Bob
S
sallyB
Sep 4, 2008
Nothing but trouble trying to install ADObe web premium on my HP Vista 64 bit. I have placed 2 calls to adobe, one to HP, spend 15 hours, given the laptop to two techie friends. I’ve uninstalled, run Adobe CS3 clean, created new admin account, installed from the hard drive, etc etc. NO ONE can get this installed. This has been a completely rotten experience. Adobe tech support walks you through an hour of steps, then leaves you to do "one more thing" it doesn’t work. this has happened twice.

DON’T buy 64 bit vista if you are planning on using Adobe web premium!
F
Freeagent
Sep 4, 2008
DON’T buy 64 bit vista

That’s exactly what you should do. Buying a preconfigured OEM computer with a ton of useless crapware also on it is hit or miss, though. Hp is especially bad. I should know because my laptop is an hp, and it took me over a week to clean out all the junk.

Once that was done, however, it turned out to be a terrific little machine. Never had a problem with it since.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 4, 2008
Actually, that’s what I do with all new machines, though I’ve taken to building desktops that’s certainly out not possible for a laptop.

This is one of the reasons I like Dell. They give you a complete operating system disk. Easy to do clean installs. They’ve also come a long way in eliminating all the junk that gets preinstalled.

Bob
F
Freeagent
Sep 4, 2008
They give you a complete operating system disk. Easy to do clean installs.

That’s nice, and I’ll keep it in mind for next time.

Anyway, with all said and done, there’s no doubt that the CS3 installers are terrible, and John Nack admits it openly and in so many words. So one suggestion to sallyB would be to check if a clean Vista install is possible on your machine. The problem with hp is that they often modify components and hardware so that the original drivers no longer work. You need dedicated hp drivers for everything, even including video card.
NB
Nicholas_Birkett
Sep 4, 2008
My install just starting working fine. I left it for a few days and the response times became fine. And this on a Dell.

However, I did have a problem with Photoshop on an HP XP machine – it installed OK but then crashed the machine everytime I tried to start it. Turned out that my audio driver needed to be upgraded to the latest ASIO version. My an audio driver would crash a photoeditor was never clear; and why the install programme couldn’t just check for the driver also was never explained. But, try doing a driver upgrade for all your drivers and see what happens.
S
sallyB
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will try them over the weekend. the last thing I did was a system restore using the HP tools, in this case, I could view and open all the freebee softwae in the adobe web premium package, but not photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, etc.

I have gone to the HP site for updates, as well as Microsoft updates. That is something I always do when I get a new PC.
In my calls to HP and Adobe, they never suggested upgrading all the drivers for everything on the machine.THIS IS A BRAND NEW laptop! it shouldn’t ship with out of date drivers!

There must be multiple causes to the problems people are experiencing with this ADOBE CS3 install. Anyone have experience with an install with an AMD chip?

My goal is to use the software for images and web development, not to have an immersion in driver downloads, system restores, registry edits, etc.
NB
Nicholas_Birkett
Sep 5, 2008
I know exactly how frustrating this is, having experienced similar problems 🙁 I am running on an AMD duo core CPU (about two years old) under XP. The machine is from HP but had a clean install on XP (to replace the Media Centre Edition XP which came with it.

The audiop driver upgrade didn’t from either HP or Microsoft but from the sound card vendor. You’ll need VISTA equivalents of my suggestions but, I went to ‘my computer’, right clicked and selected ‘manage’. From this menu, select ‘Device Management’. Look for the Sound, video and game cards option and the select your sound card (mine was SoundMAX). Right clicking brings up an option to upgrade the driver. That fixed my Photoshop problems. YMMV.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections