BC
Posted By
Bart_Cross
Aug 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Richard: Should have got a replacement, I have a 1720 and totally happy with it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Aug 11, 2008
Sony are good for graphics.
RR
Richard_R._Chalmers
Aug 11, 2008
I recently bought a Dell 1720 laptop that had such a poor display that I returned it. Can anyone here recommend a good Windows laptop for running Photoshop and Illustrator. Something for around $1400 would be great.

Thanks!

Richard
F
Freeagent
Aug 11, 2008
As has been mentioned in other threads recently, the narrow viewing angle of most laptop screens can be a big problem. Make sure you see before you buy. It may have something to do with the viewing distance, so I would think 17" would be better than 15.

Hardware calibration is sine qua non for any serious work, especially for a laptop, so inlude that in the price. Do a google for Colorvision Spyder or Pantone Huey. It’s not as expensive as you think.

Get one with two hard drives if you can – that way you can set up the second one as Photoshop scratch disk.

Have they started to ship laptops with 64-bit Vista? If so jump to it, if not, see if its possible to upgrade later (by downloading 64-bit drivers from the manufacturer’s website).
RR
Richard_R._Chalmers
Aug 11, 2008
HP offers a free upgrade to 64-bit. And I have ordered a Spyder2Express for hardware calibration. The problem is seeing before I buy. There is not place close to where I live to see computers. I’m out in the boonies. Richard
RR
Richard_R._Chalmers
Aug 11, 2008
I must have gotten a lemon; it happens. I’ve always been happy with Dell so that’s why I ordered one. Still, our IT guys switched from Dell to HP a year or two ago because they say Dell quality is tanking.
RJ
Robert_jobin
Aug 12, 2008
I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro 2,1ghz with 4go ram and ATI Radeon HD3470 and it was a lemon..so I returned it back to the retailer but I think the Graphic card is not powerfull enough for Photoshop cs3. Can anyone help me on this cause I want to order a new one. thank you.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 12, 2008
Check out the Dell XPS series. Beautiful displays.

Pick up a copy of the August 08 Maximium PC. They did a laptop comparison and the XPS was actually rated as a better display than the Macbook Pro.

Bob
SP
Sid_Phillips
Aug 12, 2008
I had my hands on an XPS 1730 last Friday. Had the Core 2 Extreme processor, 400GB RAID0 and 8800GT video. Photoshop ran like a scalded dog. So did BioShock. I’m sure it’s a little on the pricey side, but it’s one of the few laptops I wouldn’t mind using as my only machine.

Definitely not battery-friendly, it ran a little less than an hour before we had to plug it into the AC. Did not get a chance to try and profile it with my Spyder3. But the image was gorgeous. Definitely worthy of Serious Consideration.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 12, 2008
Here’s a couple of coupon codes to use:

20% off all XPS M1330 & M1530 Laptops over $1249 – Dell Coupon K54SDRK72$L6W3

25% off all XPS M1330 & M1530 Laptops over $1499 – Dell Coupon 0$?X8RJ0$G3XLB

Happy shopping.

Bob
P
Phil___Nad___
Aug 15, 2008
Robert Jobin,

Send me an e-mail from one of your personals addresses and we could talk 🙂

DB
doug_bibo
Aug 15, 2008
If I may inject a tangential question. I too am looking for a laptop, but most of the ones I’ve seen have that newer technology really shinny screen similar to the aluminum iMac’s. (sorry for the technical terms) They drive me crazy, and on many of them (the iMacs at least) the off-angel view is actually the correct one. I would like to be able to do some semi critical work. Does anyone have recommendations for laptops without these issues?

Thanks,
Doug
P
Peter
Aug 15, 2008
wrote in message
I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro 2,1ghz with 4go ram and ATI Radeon HD3470 and it was a lemon..so I returned it back to the retailer but I think the Graphic card is not powerfull enough for Photoshop cs3. Can anyone help me on this cause I want to order a new one. thank you.

I have a Lenovo 17700 with discrete video and 3 gig memory. CS3 opens in under 5 seconds and it runs fairly well. The only issue is monitor calibration, which you will have with any laptop. But it runs nicely. For my critical work I finish the image on my desktop.

Peter
S
stevent
Aug 16, 2008
I bought an XPS. Vista premium. Maxed out the RAM (4gb) and PS runs great! (though i am thinking about wiping Vista off and puttin XP on.

Lovely screen as well.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 16, 2008
Why? I don’t think Dell is going to supply XP drivers and if everything is running great you’d be foolish to try that (IMO, of course).

I’ve been saying this for a long time, Vista runs just fine on the proper hardware.

Bob
S
stevent
Aug 16, 2008
Got the XP drivers (chipset et al) thanks to Dell forums.

Mainly for the choppy sound & video. The only solution I’ve found is to limit the wi-fi card.

And crappy network printing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections