JS
Posted By
Jim_Schnau
Aug 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok i have been seeing this topic all over and it drives me mad…

Basically Alot of people are arguing abotu this

"Can Photoshop Make a True Vector image"

Please can some one from Adobe finally Clear This Up for Users????

Ture yes or No ? please Someone its driving people mad lol

know photoshop does have limited vector capabilities ….

But is in 100% true Vector Format?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
J_Maloney
Aug 10, 2008
Save as Photoshop PDF. 100% true vector format. I’m sure you could define "true vector" to exclude PS PDFs, if you’d like.

J
JS
Jim_Schnau
Aug 10, 2008
no that what every one thinks i did i banner for a concert and i went to get it printed and i made "a Vector" in photoshop i talk to one of the pros there and he would not accepts the banner cause he told me its not a TRUE vector …if photoshop was able to make a TRUE vector why would they have even created illustrator? i want to know the answer from ABOBE them selves not the community here
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 10, 2008
It depends on which tools you use. Most of them create raster effects, and in that case, you don’t have a true vector image. But as J says, you can create a true vector image with PS.

Please can some one from Adobe finally Clear This Up for Users????

What, you don’t trust us? Actually, you could wait a long time before someone from Adobe comes in here. They have been scare for the last year or so. (This is a User-to-User forum).
JS
Jim_Schnau
Aug 10, 2008
well what i mean is people say i can create a true vector from scratch in photoshop i knwo the pen tool has vector capabilities andsome of the others but im talk in as in print production iv talked to many of printers and even graphic design teachers and they all say " no its not a tru vector yet ther is a huge discussion goin on about it on the net saying it is true (i believe photoshop cannot make them) as i am an coraldraw/illustrator user i can notice the differences i just wana know the solid facts
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 10, 2008
Sounds like you’ve already answered your question, Jim. Well done. The solid facts are always what you want them to be, anyway. That’s life in the late naughties.
JS
Jim_Schnau
Aug 10, 2008
yes i knwo i just wabnt fukll details so things can be settlesd one and for all
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Aug 10, 2008
A test image consists of
1. Text
2. A stroked path, created with pen tool, using New Path
3. A filled path, created with pen tool, using New Path

Save as PSD with layers:
The objects remain editable

Save as PDF:
Text is vector
The stroked path is raster
The filled path is raster

Export as Illustrator paths, open in Illustrator
(make visible by Select All):
Text is gone
The stroked path appears as unstroked path
The filled path appears as unfilled path

My humble opinion:
PhS can preserve in PDFs only text as vector graphics.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
JS
Jim_Schnau
Aug 10, 2008
ty GH thats the kinda answer i like to see
JS
Jim_Schnau
Aug 10, 2008
so from that test i take it photoshop cannot make a full vector?
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Aug 10, 2008
Jim,

that’s my opinion, as tested by CS2.

GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Aug 18, 2008
Jim,

direct stroke or fill, as used in my example, would
generate in PostScript a vector graphic.
Not so in Photoshop – here we get a ‘rasterized shape
or path’ (see help texts).
Such an object can have an anti-aliased and feathered
contour.

In order to get a true vector shape it’s necessary to
proceed as follows:
1. Paths > New Path
Generate a path by Pen Tool or a Shape Tool like
Circle, Retangle, Line, Custom.
2. Layer > New Layer > Solid color (or Gradient or Pattern) For instance foreground color as solid color.

‘Save as PDF’ delivers a true vector graphic. A stroked
object is made by a filled closed path. E.g. a polyline
with width 5 pixels consists of a couple of thin rectangles.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 18, 2008
if photoshop was able to make a TRUE vector why would they have even created illustrator?

Illustrator was created long before Photoshop introduced any vector capabilities. The first vector capability in Photoshop was to export paths to Illustrator.

Illustrator is primarily a vector program but it can handle and produce some raster art. Photoshop is primarily a raster program but it can handle and produce some vector art. InDesign is a page layout tool that can handle and produce vector and raster art.

The challenge as a designer is to choose the right tool for a particular project. Photoshop would be the last option to produce vector art for a banner.
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
any vector path or type in photoshop will remain vector on output if saved as a PDF. So if you place a PSD in InDesign all vector elements will be rastered. If you place the same file saved as a PDF the vector elements will remain vector.
P
PECourtejoie
Aug 19, 2008
Photoshop "vector shapes" should be called photoshop Vector masks: they are raster shapes delimited by vectors.
But those vectors can be opened in illustrator as vector paths…

If you output an 50dpi image with a circular vector shape to a postscript printer, the shape will be printed at the resolution of the printer, giving a nice circle; if the printer is not a postscript one, the shape will be blocky as it is using the resolution of the file, disregarding the vector mask.

It all depends on what side of the fence you look at the issue.
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2008
Heh @ Pierre…

That reminds me of a little freebie I did for an online acquaintance a bunch of years ago.

I rendered his JPEG logo with Photoshop paths, filling an 8½" × 11" document. I saved it at 1 ppi, and sent it to him in an email. He was completely dumbfounded about how I was able to send him such a "huge" Photoshop document that only weighed in at about 4 KB.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Aug 20, 2008
Any and all things in the Paths Palette are vectors. You can export your vector paths to illustrator format (File>Export>paths to illustrator)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections