Posted By
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey!

I just installed Photoshop CS2 and it’s crashing as soon as I press any key on the keyboard. The stuff is still working as long as I use the mouse.
Is this a known problem? Are there solutions?

Thanks for your help!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JT
John_T_Smith
Aug 4, 2008
Do you have any "skin" utility loaded?

Over in a different Adobe forum I’ve seen mention of a product (I think) called WindowBlind causing problems

Also, you need to post DETAILS about your computer hardware and software, including Windows version and update level, so anyone who knows of a particular problem may respond

For example… I’ve also read that pre-installed utility software on (I think) an Acer computer causes problems
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2008
keyboard drivers like logitech or ms (not os shipped) drivers loaded? unload them.
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 4, 2008
Hey!

I’m not pretty sure what you mean with skin utility…(english isn’t my mother tongue). It’s Windows XP with Service Pack II and all those updates coming every few days. In addition the keyboard I use is a non-wireless and so doesn’t require any drivers or so I could deactivate.
The computer was asembled by Fujitsu-Siemens (Scaleo-T with totally normal hardware;-)

Any other stuff you need to know?

Thanks for trying to help!
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 4, 2008
When you say you "just installed CS2" does that mean you recently bought it?

I am asking because it hasn’t been on sale for over a year and there are a lot of genuine-looking pirated copies going around, many of which were bought on eBay.

See this thread:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c062174/68>
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 4, 2008
No, it’s not recently bought, my father has been using that version for some time until he switched to mac and had no use for the windowslicence, which I use now…
F
Freeagent
Aug 4, 2008
non-wireless

I guess that would make it wired…

If this only happens with CS2, no other apps, one would start thinking in terms of keyboard shortcuts messed up, preferences etc.

No drivers installed you say, but you never know with OEMs. It’s amazing the stuff they manage to squeeze in there sometimes. I’d take a closer look anyway.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2008
ya, maybe try resetting the preferences.
F
Freeagent
Aug 4, 2008
I’m rapidly becoming a big fan of trashing preferences. It seems to fix the most unlikely problems, I’ve even had the chance to do it myself a couple of times.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 4, 2008
But I recommend to try resetting the tool first if it’s that kind of problem.
F
Freeagent
Aug 4, 2008
You’re right on that, John.

No need to nuke if a more… surgical approach will get you there.

But as a catch-all fix I still think it’s pretty good. Let’s see what happens here.
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 4, 2008
So:
a): I haven’t changed any of the settings…
b): how can I reset the anyway?
c): can I delete those keyboard things like CTRL+Z and then load some file which restores them?
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the link, but it doesn’t help, since I can’t even find (and my computer, too) any file with the ending .psp …
I think I might be contacting adobe directly soon.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 5, 2008
ince I can’t even find (and my computer, too) any file with the ending .psp … ince I can’t even find (and my computer, too) any file with the ending .psp …

you need to reread that faq. it tells you how to find them.
JT
John_T_Smith
Aug 5, 2008
can’t even find

Did you follow this instruction in that link?

NOTE: You need to set Window’s Explorer Options to "View Hidden Files and Folders" to display the Preference file]
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 5, 2008
Well…thanks..now I found it, deleted it and it’s still the same!
RM
Rick Moore
Aug 5, 2008
USB keyboard? Have you tried to use another USB port? Another keyboard?
JD
Jason Drabek
Aug 5, 2008
reboot
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 6, 2008
both don’t work…
F
Freeagent
Aug 6, 2008
I think it’s time to reinstall Photoshop (that’s what I would have done at this point).

But go through ALL your other applications first to make sure it’s not happening there.

IIRC, there was a handy little checkbox in CS2 that said "leave activation data on this computer". I think you can safely leave that on – activation is a bad idea but not that bad.

But aside from that I would delete the prefs folder one more time while you’re at it, normally it would "carry over" to the new installation.
SH
Stefan_Heinze
Aug 6, 2008
Hello!

Freeagents tip to also delete the prefs folder after uninstalling was right…it’s working right now!

Thank you all so much, I really aprecciate your help!

THANKS!
F
Freeagent
Aug 6, 2008
Great! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections