Posted By
skybook
Jul 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All,

I have two documents, one with a larger canvas than the other. If I bring a layer from the larger document to the smaller one I end up with artwork that is off the artboard/canvas and invisible. I can see this artwork if I drag the layer around.

Is there a way to remove this content which is unused/unseen? I get the feeling that it is bloating my file sizes…

Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jul 31, 2008
Select all (CTRL + A), then go to Image menu Ò Crop

Just make sure you’re positive everything’s the way you want it before you commit to the crop, because if you save and close the document, or run out of history states, you can’t go back to the uncropped state.
J
jcates
Jul 31, 2008
There are several ways. The path I usually take is opening both files and cropping out the unwanted areas out of the larger file and then dragging the contents into the smaller one (without saving the larger file so the source material isn’t destroyed).

Another option is to flatten or merge down the larger layer which would only leave what’s on the artboard/canvas.

There is also Phos’ suggestion and even more ways.

As Phos says, though, you need to make sure you have it the way you want it because no matter which path you choose to accomplish this, they are all destructive which is pretty much what you’re going for anyway.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections