S
Posted By
SamCKayak
Jul 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I take a layer and transform it to 1/4 of the image size and later transform the layer back to 100% of the image size…

…. has any of the image resolution been lost?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jul 29, 2008
yes, unless you use a smart object
KB
Kerwin_Bartinson
Jul 30, 2008
That has nothing to do with image resolution. Photoshop documents can only have one single resolution. What you are asking about is pixel dimensions. Yes, if you take a large and resize it to 1/2 its original size you are throwing away 1/2 of the pixels. If you do this in a document setup for 300 dpi or 75 dpi that layer like all of the layers will still be 300 dpi or 75 dpi or whatever you set it at when you created the document. If you resize that 1/2 size layer back to 100% size Photoshop has to guess at the new data being add. This works just like using Image Resize.

There is also a secondary problem with the transform tools. Photoshop at least CS2 and older has a rounding error. This means each time you use a transform tool like rotate, resize, etc. you are introducing errors in to the image data because of the round error in Photoshop. In fact this error can be used to create some interesting effects. Russell Brown who works for Adobe even created a script (doesn’t work with CS3 and he doesn’t plan to update it) that uses this flaw to create some very interesting effects. Because that script hasn’t been and won’t be updated for CS3 I don’t know if the round error has been fixed in CS3. Scratch that I just did a test and the rounding error is still there. I didn’t take it as far and Russell Brown’s script did but you can see what I mean here.

http://www.sonic.net/keesha/error.jpg

This was done by rotating the image by 10 degrees about 20 to 30 times. Basically what this means is keep your transformations to a minimum as you are corrupting image data.
F
Freeagent
Jul 30, 2008
Hmmm…I knew rotating at odd angles would degrade, but not this much. I’ll keep it in mind.
S
SamCKayak
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks for your reply. I had some doubt as to whether PS might keep the layer "original" somewhere yet display the transformation. It’s easier, maybe more correct, to alter the level such that successive transformations accumulate errors.

Glad I know now.
F
Freeagent
Jul 30, 2008
keep the layer "original" somewhere yet display the transformation

That’s more or less the definition of a smart object.
P
Phosphor
Jul 30, 2008
Sam,

There’s always the History palette…or just duplicate the Layer before Transforming so you don’t lose anything.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jul 30, 2008
Well it is only true if you save the document, the original size of the image would be in the temp file, so if you sized that image back up to the original size while working, then nothing is lost.
CB
charles badland
Jul 30, 2008
It’s easier, maybe more correct, to alter the level such that successive transformations accumulate errors. Glad I know now.

Your answer was post #1.
Layer>Smart Object>Convert to Smart Object

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections