P
Posted By
phillr
Jul 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m doing some photo editing of a HDR combined photoshop file. I have a layer mask of my buildings. I copied the layer, now i’d like to invert the mask so that I can immediately start fiddling with the sky.

How do I invert the layer mask? I’m in 32-bit mode right now. CS3

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2008
crtl-shift-i?
P
phillr
Jul 28, 2008
No, nothing happened :S

Incase it means something, doing other commands sometimes gives me a pop-up dialog box mentioning a "program error". I can’t recreate the problem at the moment…
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2008
hmm… crtl shift i inverts a selection… sorry.

to do a mask, select the mask, press q (quickmask) then select image> adjustments> invert.

failing that, try resetting your preferences:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
P
phillr
Jul 28, 2008
Oh goodness. Deleting the preferences worked! Thanks for saving me hours of future grief!
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2008
good deal phillr. i was thinking something seemed a bit wonky. deleting preferences is usually a cure for wonkiness. 🙂
CB
charles badland
Jul 28, 2008
Oh goodness. Deleting the preferences worked! Thanks for saving me hours of future grief!

It did?
I cannot Invert in 32 bpc Mode. Invert command is grayed-out in Image>Adjustments menu. Hm…
C
Curvemeister
Jul 28, 2008
It is not possible to invert a 32 bpc image in CS3, but the question was about inverting the mask, not the layer data itself.
CB
charles badland
Jul 29, 2008
Well, I still don’t see it working in 32 bpc, on the mask or layer. I’m glad the OP’s problem is solved, but I’d like to know how he got there.
C
Curvemeister
Jul 30, 2008
Looks like there are no layers, let alone layer masks, for 32 bpc images.
CB
charles badland
Jul 30, 2008
Not here. CS3 Ext.
I can make layer and mask in 32 bpc…
just don’t see how phillr solved the issue.
P
phillr
Jul 30, 2008
I had to delete my preferences :S
Feels like I have to do it on a near weekly basis now to overcome weird behaviours
CB
charles badland
Jul 30, 2008
Your file is a PSD 32 bits per channel? (ie, not a 32bit total file)

also looks like 32 bpc layers and masking is a CS3 Extended only feature:

John Nack on "What’s unique to Photoshop Extended?":

Support for painting and layers in 32-bit/HDR files. Merge to HDR is enhanced in both editions, as is basic HDR editing (e.g. using Levels). The rationale for dividing the HDR enhancements is that the photography-centric parts appear in both editions, whereas the aspects geared towards film, 3D, and technical work are in Extended only.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 30, 2008
The rationale for dividing the HDR enhancements is that the photography-centric parts appear in both editions, whereas the aspects geared towards film, 3D, and technical work are in Extended only we figured out we can charge a boat load extra for stuff that should be included in all full versions of photoshop.

there. fixed that for ya. 🙂
C
Curvemeister
Jul 30, 2008
I’d swear I was able to create HDR layers in plain old CS3, but either I was mistaken, or the behavior has changed on me.
CB
charles badland
Jul 30, 2008
we figured out we can charge a boat load extra for stuff that should be included in all full versions of photoshop.

Ha! So exactly right.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 31, 2008
Ah, CS3 Extended. I was going to purchase that as an upgrade, having had every other version as a stand-alone since 2.5 (except 5.5), BUT, I had used my S/N from AI to get the upgrade to Adobe Production Studio Premium CS2 for video. It included PS CS2, which I really didn’t need, as I had it on my two machines already. Went to upgrade to just PS CS3 Extended, but could not, as I NOW had to get the full-boat boogie package for Premiere, et al. Bummer. I do not want anything else in CS3, except Extended. First time I’ve ever been miffed at an Adobe upgrade policy. I had cut myself off from ever upgrading one component, even if I had previously owned it/them as a stand-alone. Will wait for CS4 and just take out a second mortgage – if I can get one then…

Hunt
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 31, 2008
First time I’ve ever been miffed at an Adobe upgrade policy.

you’ll get used to it. (their stockholders are betting on it!)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections